Frustrated: Diabetic with Retinopathy

Mick_Keyou

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Here's the situation:

Married couple in SC. We spoke with them in Sept. They just called us back today looking to possibly move forward with changing Medsupp carriers.

Husband is diabetic; has blindness due to diabetes (this occurred over a decade ago), less than 50 units of insulin.

Wife healthy as a horse. Will qualify.

Before they called us today they called Cigna direct with some questions. Cigna gave them a name and number to an agent for them to speak to.

Agent said don't worry about your diabetes, in 2014 Obamacare saves you and your preexhisting condition. :mad:

We've been addressing this semi-frequently with prospects. I'm assuming the agent either has no clue about Obamacare/Medicare -or- knows about Obamacare but wants to submit the apps knowing Husband will be denied and wife will qualify.

We sent them information about Obamacare, but are there any carriers that he can qualify for based on his health status?

We've checked with Cigna, Equitable, Oxford Life, Manhattan Life all list Retinopothy. New Era is a decline due to insulin.

Anyone else :skeptical:

Last edited:
Here's the situation:

Married couple in SC. We spoke with them in Sept. They just called us back today looking to possibly move forward with changing carriers.

Husband is diabetic; has blindness due to diabetes (this occurred over a decade ago), less than 50 units of insulin.

Before they called us today they called Cigna direct with some questions. Cigna gave them a name and number to an agent for them to speak to.

Agent said don't worry about your diabetes, in 2014 Obamacare saves you and your preexhisting condition. :mad:

We've been addressing this semi-frequently with prospects. I'm assuming the agent either has no clue about Obamacare/Medicare -or- knows about Obamacare but wants to submit the apps knowing Husband will be denied and wife will qualify.

We sent them information about Obamacare, but are there any carriers that he can qualify for based on his health status?

We've checked with Cigna, Equitable, Oxford Life, Manhattan Life all list Retinopothy. New Era is a decline due to insulin.

I think agent is correct. Why would he be denied for 2014 Obamacare plans?

I think agent is correct. Why would he be denied for 2014 Obamacare plans?

He never mentioned their ages, but from the companies he listed I think he's talking about Medicare Supplements...if so it has nothing to do with Obamacare.

----------

Here's the situation:

Married couple in SC. We spoke with them in Sept. They just called us back today looking to possibly move forward with changing carriers.

I just checked Aetna, Heartland National and United National ... they're all a no-go because of the Retinopathy. I don't see anyone other than possibly Blue Cross if they have a GI in your state(they do in Illinois, but it's so expensive) or AARP.

Oxford, Transamerica, Globe

Since he said he already checked with Oxford, I didn't look at them. They were just approved here and just got my supplies. They'll consider someone with diabetes, but "additional information may be requested during the telephone interview".

If your State has the "Birthday Rule" you should be able to enroll him during the month of his birth, Guaranteed Issue.

Information posted based on CSG Actuarial. I believe the notes said underwriting consideration for Oxford and Globe.

For TA notes said questions about diabetes and retinopathy are not on the app. Might be time to put him in MAPD or move on.

----------

You can also use the trial right if they would rather have a gap plan.

Your Rights To Buy A Medigap Policy

Information posted based on CSG Actuarial. I believe the notes said underwriting consideration for Oxford and Globe.

For TA notes said questions about diabetes and retinopathy are not on the app. Might be time to put him in MAPD or move on.

----------

You can also use the trial right if they would rather have a gap plan.

Your Rights To Buy A Medigap Policy

Csg's uw report is worthless...

Back