Frustrated

SME

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Arizona
Okay this is a vent/ ask a question thread. I'm having a little management problem. I closed down my own agency and went into what is a very good contract with an independent agency. But one of the partners is driving me nuts. It seems like no matter how much I sell he finds something to complain about. Today I turned in my production report with almost $3000 in commission for the week, and he has to drill me on how many times I called each lead. Like my numbers aren't good enough, or I'm not making enough sales. What does it matter how many times I call as long as I'm bringing in good money. I'm just a little tired of constantly proving myself to others. I'm sure others have been in this situation so how did you handle it? I don't want to give up on what could be a great oppurtunity but at the same time I don't want to work where I am under appreciated. Any advice?

Damn,

Sorry to hear that Steph. If you've ran your own agency then you should be able to dance your way around your partners interigation. Is it a silent partner (relatively speaking), a limited partner, or a general partner? The difference is huge as with the first two you much more of the reigns than your partner legally. If it's the latter, then you guys have to work out a compromise. I would confront your partner in private and bring up your concerns (I know that's easier said than done, so good luck!)

Jonny

This guy is a jerk. Tell him to back off or you are moving on. Unless you are in the back of the pack, he would be wise to leave you alone & concentrate on the stragglers who aren't carrying their weight.

A good manager realizes you leave your "aces" alone and let them work at their own pace with minimal coaching.

On the other hand, a jerk feels they have to justify their position by micro-managing.

Next time you turn in apps, inclue a box of Kleenex. Tell him when he is done crying about whatever it is he is whinning about, to come talk to you. I use my ex-wife. "I should introduce you to Jane. Who is Jane? She is my ex and she complained all the time, you 2 would get along great."

Or if you want to take the non-smartass approach, then just give him a blank stare when he is talking to you. Then tell him only what you need to, not addressing what he had just said. Basically ignore it. He has the problem, not you. Just remember that.

Steph,

I guess I don't understand your relationship with the agency. Are you an employee of his or the agency? The only reason I started selling insurance was to get away from that kind of crap.

When I was captive there was a meeting every Monday morning where the "manager" would stand up and mentally masturbate in front of us telling us how great and wonderful he was. Then he would single out the lowest producer from the former week and call him every name in the book. He would slam books on the table, wave his arms and get red in the face. (Trying to scare us I guess.)

Then he would call us in one by one and tell us what failures we were, even the "best of the best" from the last week.

After about three of these, I told him I schedule appointments on Monday morning and would no longer be at his meetings. (They would last until 11 am.) That did not make him a happy camper. He made all kinds of threats, I smiled and said I would be in at the end of each week to turn in my business. That was it, end of conversation. I never did attend one of his masturbation meetings again.

As an independent agent I was not required to attend anything. Said so in my contract, so I didn't. I always wrote a lot of insurance and he never mentioned it again. Actually, when I left we were almost sorta kinda friends, as much as you can be with a jerk like that.

His whole approach to motivation was intimidation. I just didn't let him intimidate me.

Next time you turn in apps, inclue a box of Kleenex. Tell him when he is done crying about whatever it is he is whinning about, to come talk to you. I use my ex-wife. "I should introduce you to Jane. Who is Jane? She is my ex and she complained all the time, you 2 would get along great."quote]

:D I can't stop laughing. Those are great.

Back