Frustration of a New Insurance Agent

rgeorgi3

Indiana
For those of you that dont know me I'm still pretty new to the insurance industry. My latest complaint and I'm sure its a very familiar one is sales goals.

It's frustrating when last month at this time I was sitting at 15 items and now I'm sitting at 9 with no good leads in the works. I've been try to stay motivated and keep calling but its hard when all day long we are more expensive especially when all it seems that people care about is price in this area.

All I have to do is hit 25 items and I'll get commission but with the holiday and "black friday" knocks 2 days off of this week alone.

What do you guys think about the idea of trying to sell outside of the office as well? Possibly paying for my own leads to follow up with on the weekend?

I guess Im just looking for any suggestions to boost my sales up and make that fat commission check. haha

As always....Thanks in advance

xrac said:
I assume you are we talking P&C here?

Most likely. I doubt if you sell 25 annuities you wont make commission. ;)

honestly do what you have to do. If you only have 25 to call and they wont set, stop by. Talk to neighbors and let them know "im the new rep for (your area) and if you have a few minutes ill show you how we might be of service."

The point is not to get discouraged and if you dont have "prospects" go find some. Just remember sell an appointment first, ask for a ref then sale.

Sounds to me your issue is resources. Increase the people you see and focus your efforts on resources and not sales. If you can grow the people you can call, stop by, and name drop you will get the success you are looking for.

Dont give up just expand your influence.

Good luck and keep us posted!

It sounds like you need more prospects. Since you have to sell 25 policies to get commission, who pays for the leads?

You can cold call, door knock, network, chamber of commerce, buy leads, direct mail, and any combination of these. If the leads come out of your pocket, I would probably lean towards a lower cost option like cold calling or door knocking. Networking is more a long term thing, but if the agent already belongs to the chamber then at least it is free.

Black Friday can be a great opportunity for an agent to go to any of the big lines pass out a card and just introduce themselves. Also would be a good opportunity to pass out flyers on cars since the lots will be full. Aside from these the phone book is a good place to get leads. It's sucks sure but so far I've had better let calling people who weren't actively looking versus those looking for quotes online.

Bottom line is action creates results and those who fail to plan ultimately plan to fail.

fusion said:
Black Friday can be a great opportunity for an agent to go to any of the big lines pass out a card and just introduce themselves. Also would be a good opportunity to pass out flyers on cars since the lots will be full. Aside from these the phone book is a good place to get leads. It's sucks sure but so far I've had better let calling people who weren't actively looking versus those looking for quotes online.

Bottom line is action creates results and those who fail to plan ultimately plan to fail.

Well said.

The key is to get out there and go talk to people.

"Also would be a good opportunity to pass out flyers on cars since the lots will be full. Aside from these the phone book is a good place to get leads."
You're kidding, right? 75% of the flyers you place on cars will be littered about and your name and information will be on those.
As far as the phone book goes, who really calls "leads" out of the phone book anymore? With DNC and all the cheap (or free) places to get lists, why on earth do this?

I would personally go hit the pavement.

Look, the thing is he needs to find more prospects and make better use of his time. If he used flyers and it didnt produce he at least took 30 minutes to try.

Try, try again, learn, then move on.

I wouldnt recomend the phone book because of the dnc list, but frankly just get out there and see people.

Stop selling on price , focus on informative calls . Cold call to infirm your a local agent in the area . When the prospect brings down the wall , you ask for an x-date , or to quote ,

Is how you position yourself that's going to make you successful . I'm a 4 year agent going on 5 June 2013 . My first years commission was 17800k and this year to date is at 83000k .

When they tell you , you gave potential , tell them but you will love me by my ambition!

pcbinsurance said:
"Also would be a good opportunity to pass out flyers on cars since the lots will be full. Aside from these the phone book is a good place to get leads."
You're kidding, right? 75% of the flyers you place on cars will be littered about and your name and information will be on those.
As far as the phone book goes, who really calls "leads" out of the phone book anymore? With DNC and all the cheap (or free) places to get lists, why on earth do this?

Bottom line is action creates results. If I use your numbers and spend $100 for 1,000 flyers, 75% throw it away and 250 keep it. If 10% call me that 25 calls but we will go with 5% and say I get 12 calls. If I close two I win!

As for phone book, it's better than sitting there with your thumb up your rear. You can manual check against the DNC and again some action is better than none. Unfortunately, I think you missed the point the first go around so let me say it again... Action creates results. No action=No Results.

Back