Game plan for newbie

If you had to start all over again entering the P&C market, what would be your game plan?

I’m new to P&C and will be starting a new position on January 8th working with a small independent agency in my area. Other than connecting with realtors and mortgage brokers, what creative or successful ideas should I implement? What would your day look like like? Any valuable information would be appreciated.

The independent agency is a plus, but make sure your IA owner doesn't just want you to list your top 100 friends/family and call on them constantly. They will come naturally after 2 years or so.

The independent agency is a plus, but make sure your IA owner doesn't just want you to list your top 100 friends/family and call on them constantly. They will come naturally after 2 years or so.

No. I’ll be calling his current clients. Calling auto clients that don’t have hoi with him and visa versa.

If you had to start all over again entering the P&C market, what would be your game plan?

I’m new to P&C and will be starting a new position on January 8th working with a small independent agency in my area. Other than connecting with realtors and mortgage brokers, what creative or successful ideas should I implement? What would your day look like like? Any valuable information would be appreciated.
It is often best to begin as a captive agent, then take time to prioritize to develop business for your current agency's parent company above all others.

Establishing networks that feed you business should be done asap. Financial advisers, health agents, life agents, payroll providers, real estate agents and bankers. It takes a long time to build the relationships, but boy-oh-boy do they pay off.

Next learn to properly ask for referrals. I mean get really good at it, read and research it. Once I learned how to properly ask for referrals I was getting 3 rock solid referrals for every sale I made.

To add to what Markthebroker said...look into joining a local BNI chapter. Im willing to bet the P&C seat (personal lines) is most likely taken but you could talk to them about filling the commercial seat, life seat, etc. Any way to get in and start getting any kind of referrals is better than nothing. And if they like you and the P&C seat opens up then you are most likely a shoe in to take that seat. If they have a good realtor in the chapter you will get a pretty decent amount of referrals just from that alone. Network, Network, Network. When you go out to eat try to pick a place where you think you will be seen by the most people you know. You never know when someone you see in public will be having dinner with someone you need to know! If everyone in your town doesn't know your name, then you are not doing your job! 1 more thing. Research omnipresence. Learn it...practice it! How powerful do you think it is for Coke to have people refer to Pepsi as Coke? When they think of Insurance they should think of BoomBoom68. Just my 2 cents

What is your contract like? Why work for another agency and do all the legwork to obtain clients that someone else will benefit from the residuals when you can own your own book of business?

Dont burn bridges its a small industry. Keep up with the data. If you miss a good opportunity set a follow up task prior to their next renewal. Understand your agencies strengths/dont re invent the wheel.

Chances are after a couple years you will outgrow them.

Latest posts

Back