Gatekeepers @%#&

That is what I figured. However, I have to say something while I have her on the phone. I might as well try to get creative and see if it works right? It can't hurt.

Simply ask permission to send over some information. If she/he says okay ask whom you should address it to if you don't know the name of the owner. Send something over or deliver it yourself or mail it and call back, ask if so and so recieved it and may you talk to so and so.

Life is all about timing, can't fight it. Well, you can write a book and get people to buy your book so they can fight the "Timing" issue and you win! They don't but, I didn't say it is a win win!

If the receptionist asks what's this about, I always tell her. However, you can improve your numbers by getting asked that less often. Here are two I use:

In the morning: "Hi, this is Delta. Is John in yet?"

Otherwise: "Hi (receptionist's name if she says it). I'm trying to get through to John before I leave the office. If he's not tied up, would you tell him Delta (use your first name) is on the line. Thanks."

If the receptionist asks what's this about, I always tell her. However, you can improve your numbers by getting asked that less often. Here are two I use:

In the morning: "Hi, this is Delta. Is John in yet?"

Otherwise: "Hi (receptionist's name if she says it). I'm trying to get through to John before I leave the office. If he's not tied up, would you tell him Delta (use your first name) is on the line. Thanks."

This is EXCELLENT.

You've got to be creative! Put yourself in the gatekeeper's shoes for a minute. They get these calls all day long.

If you keep using that tired, old "save 30 percent on health insurance" crap - you'll get what you deserve.

"Call at 7:30 in the morning. The owner will answer."

"Or after 4-5 PM on friday!"

Tired, old, ordinary, mundane and worst of all...ineffective. Are you guys reading a steady diet of Zig Ziglar books or somethin'?

Better way: do some marketing that has THEM call YOU.

What you all don't understand is you can get the secretary yelled at....and I know. If you're successful in making it seem like you're the owners buddy and she falls for it there's a chance she gets bitched out after the call:

"Hey Sara, let me see you in here about these calls."

Also, this clever crap seldom, if ever works. The owner gets the call thinking you're some business associate, client, friend, etc...and when it comes out that you're a health insurance agent, well....

John is right. Cute is crap. You're a salesman... so SELL! Sell the gatekeeper.

Good morning, XYZ, this is Susan.

Susan, this is Al from InsuranceSolutions. We specialize in employee benefits. Who is the person in your organization who makes those decisions... or is it you? I want to send some info about our company.

No, not me... I wish. It's Mary Smith, but she's on the phone do you want her voice mail

No, I'll call back later this morning. Let me ask you, what kind of health benefits does XYZ offer you there? Have they cut back like other firms in the area have?

We have a Kaiser plan but it cost more than it used to.

Is everyone happy with it?

I guess so. I have coverage with my husband's plan.

How many folks are at XYZ now?

We have 15 people here.

I assume the company offers you the option of buy life, and accident, and cancer and other types of benefits?

No, they don't.

OK, why not give me Mary's email address and YOUR email address and I'll send a quick note of introduction and a short flyer that BOTH of you might be interested in. I want to present to Mary AND YOU how she can offer a better benefit package to you and the others at the company for less or equal to what they spend now. Do you think the company will be interested in that? Are you?

Sure, her email is mary@xxxxx and mine is sue@xxxx. She's off the phone, you want to talk to her?

Look at the time. I have this conference call in a few minutes so let me send you and Mary the info and I'll call back this afternoon. Again, my name is Al, I'm the hated insurance broker (laugh) and I'll talk to you later. When is a good time?

Try around 3.

Ok Susan. Tell her I'll call then. I enjoyed talking with you and look forward to meeting you You've been so nice on the phone. Thanks. Take care. Bye.

Bye

(Always wait for them to hang up first.I follow this up with a 'hard hitting' email and flyer... and call back later.)

When I call back I say: Susan, this is Al, the hated insurance broker? (voice rises in question)

Oh yes, I remember.

We spoke this morning and I sent you some info. I want to follow up with Mary.

------

You see, not hard at all. Won't work all the time, but it works a lot of the time which is better than it not working any of the time... which is what what being "cute" will get you.

This is "old school" cold-calling. I'm sure there are better ways, but this works for me. The trick is to be perfectly natural and have a "low key" attitude. You can't sound like a salesperson or phony. I talk to them as if I were talking to them about their dog or their kid or the weather... just plain old conversation without any sales gimmicks.

Al

When I call back I say: Susan, this is Al, the hated insurance broker? (voice rises in question)

I love that line Al. I'll use something similar when I'm talking to the owner:

"I just need to tell you a little about what's going on with health insurance without your head hitting the desk."

Almost always gets a laugh. If it doesn't, I rarely ever sell someone who doesn't have a sense of humor.

Back