Gatekeepers @%#&

Hi, this is Bob Levine.

I'm an insurance agent, here in Atlanta. Was calling to find out if you guys had a group health plan there, and if you did, when it comes up for renewal, can I throw my hat in the ring.

"We just renewed last October, and we won't be looking around for another 7 months."

OK. I'll call you back then. Should I ask for you, or for someone else?

"You can ask for me."

And your name is...

"Sherry"

And how do you spell your last name? I'm putting it in my electronic day planner, and it makes me put one in.

"Smith"

Thanks, Sherry. One last question. Do you have an e-mail address? That way, if there is something I have that you may be interested in, I could just zip it over to you.

It's [email protected]

Great.

Thanks for your time. Talk to you later.

I now have her name, her e-mail address, and she is familiar with me, and who I am, and what I sell. I'll stay in touch with her on a regular basis, and that way, when I call for the real decision maker, it won't be a cold call, and my chances of getting through increase.

or

This is Bob Levine. I'm an insurance agent, here in Atlanta. The reason for my call was to make you aware of several changes that have come about in Employee Benefits, that might actually save the company, and the employees some money. What's the best way to get that to you - fax or e-mail?

Where you go from here depends on their level of interest. I've been able to complete Census information on some calls, on others, I've had to forward information, follow up several times, and then get the census.

Bottom Line: These people are smarter than we give them credit for.

Back