Geico Mobile App

Chris Clark

Ok, so I am not an agent and fairly ignorant when it comes to insurance which is why up until recently, I have had my sister-in-law handle my insurance needs until my rates went up 25% without explanation or reason. (no accidents, tickets and I havent purchased an exotic car unfortunately-She has been an agent for 30+ years) I got a quote from Geico that was significantly less that what my renewal rate would have been with Progressive after 5 years and only 1 claim on a minor accident while on my motorcycle. (claim was appx $2500-and worth mentioning my renewal following the accident actually went down slightly) BTW, Progressive was outstanding during that process. The rate I was quoted by Geico provided a 10% discount if I would install their app.

I've worked in the IT filed for 15+ years so I believe my competence is greater than most people and certainly far greater than the agents I spoke with at Geico. Here is the issue. I went to install the app on my phone and it specifically asks to allow the app to access location information on my phone which I wasn't crazy about, but I understood the need. The second part of the app asks for permission to access my PHONE settings. First thing that came to mind when I saw this was, "WTF do they need access to my phone settings for? It isn't relevant! NOT HAPPENING!" Now phone settings is a broad term. That could include call logs, contact information as well as the ability to listen or record conversations although not likely. However, intended or not, a few extra lines of code in the app could provide that capability.

I don't want to be labeled as "that guy" but at this day and age I have legitimate concerns about my personal information and my rights associated with it at a day and age where it is infringed upon. I did call Geico and spoke to a couple agents about my concern and needless to say, they were more or less dumbfounded. I might as well have been speaking Russian. I even spoke to a supervisor that was even more ignorant than the customer service agent. While my personal information and how it is used is my primary concern, there are a couple other sensitive issues that are concerning.

First if this app has access to my 'phone settings' it has access to contact lists among other things. This gives then access to phone numbers, names, possibly physical addresses and definitely email addresses. While a Geico customer consenting to the use and terms of the app may have agreed to the disclosure of this information, the people in my contact list certainly did not. If my phone or anybody elses phone were compromised in some way with malicious intent, these people are also now at risk The agent I spoke to says all insurance companies have liability policies that protect them from oddities that would likely include a breach like this. That sounds reasonable to me, however I don't have a policy like that so now I potentially have a liability risk!

The other issue I see with this app is that it could possible be seen as discriminatory which also could be met with litigation. Coming from the angle of, "Geico will give you a discount by installing this app so that we can monitor your driving habits, but if we cant have access to your personal data (which has no relevance) you don't get this discount." At this day and age, we have all heard of companies being sued for issues far more ridiculous!

As a result of my experience, I have declined to use this app because of it's invasive properties. I have no doubt there are other insurance companies out there using similar software. Essentially, I am just trying to promote awareness in your industry and a potential hazard. You cant tell me that if data from an app that your company put on your customers phones was compromised and it resulted in a multi-million dollar lawsuit that we're not going to see that reflected in OUR insurance rates at some point. Or if somebody is ineligible for a discount because they are unwilling to compromise or willing to sell their personal data and happens to find a hungry, creative lawyer that presents a case to a sympathetic jury and gets rewarded that people arent going to feel that in OUR premiums. I think in a day and age where everything is so competitive and you have to fight for every dollar you can, companies don't fully consider the risks vs rewards to the extent they should.

Ok, so I am not an agent and fairly ignorant when it comes to insurance which is why up until recently, I have had my sister-in-law handle my insurance needs until my rates went up 25% without explanation or reason. (no accidents, tickets and I havent purchased an exotic car unfortunately-She has been an agent for 30+ years) I got a quote from Geico that was significantly less that what my renewal rate would have been with Progressive after 5 years and only 1 claim on a minor accident while on my motorcycle. (claim was appx $2500-and worth mentioning my renewal following the accident actually went down slightly) BTW, Progressive was outstanding during that process. The rate I was quoted by Geico provided a 10% discount if I would install their app.

I've worked in the IT filed for 15+ years so I believe my competence is greater than most people and certainly far greater than the agents I spoke with at Geico. Here is the issue. I went to install the app on my phone and it specifically asks to allow the app to access location information on my phone which I wasn't crazy about, but I understood the need. The second part of the app asks for permission to access my PHONE settings. First thing that came to mind when I saw this was, "WTF do they need access to my phone settings for? It isn't relevant! NOT HAPPENING!" Now phone settings is a broad term. That could include call logs, contact information as well as the ability to listen or record conversations although not likely. However, intended or not, a few extra lines of code in the app could provide that capability.

I don't want to be labeled as "that guy" but at this day and age I have legitimate concerns about my personal information and my rights associated with it at a day and age where it is infringed upon. I did call Geico and spoke to a couple agents about my concern and needless to say, they were more or less dumbfounded. I might as well have been speaking Russian. I even spoke to a supervisor that was even more ignorant than the customer service agent. While my personal information and how it is used is my primary concern, there are a couple other sensitive issues that are concerning.

First if this app has access to my 'phone settings' it has access to contact lists among other things. This gives then access to phone numbers, names, possibly physical addresses and definitely email addresses. While a Geico customer consenting to the use and terms of the app may have agreed to the disclosure of this information, the people in my contact list certainly did not. If my phone or anybody elses phone were compromised in some way with malicious intent, these people are also now at risk The agent I spoke to says all insurance companies have liability policies that protect them from oddities that would likely include a breach like this. That sounds reasonable to me, however I don't have a policy like that so now I potentially have a liability risk!

The other issue I see with this app is that it could possible be seen as discriminatory which also could be met with litigation. Coming from the angle of, "Geico will give you a discount by installing this app so that we can monitor your driving habits, but if we cant have access to your personal data (which has no relevance) you don't get this discount." At this day and age, we have all heard of companies being sued for issues far more ridiculous!

As a result of my experience, I have declined to use this app because of it's invasive properties. I have no doubt there are other insurance companies out there using similar software. Essentially, I am just trying to promote awareness in your industry and a potential hazard. You cant tell me that if data from an app that your company put on your customers phones was compromised and it resulted in a multi-million dollar lawsuit that we're not going to see that reflected in OUR insurance rates at some point. Or if somebody is ineligible for a discount because they are unwilling to compromise or willing to sell their personal data and happens to find a hungry, creative lawyer that presents a case to a sympathetic jury and gets rewarded that people arent going to feel that in OUR premiums. I think in a day and age where everything is so competitive and you have to fight for every dollar you can, companies don't fully consider the risks vs rewards to the extent they should.

So, let me get this straight. you are trying to save money in insurance premiums by bypassing carriers that have local agents. But you desire the knowledge & competence of those agents that pay staff, taxes, benefits, payroll taxes, property taxes, etc in their local communities from the commissions paid by carriers for representing those carriers.

interesting, dont you think?

Good luck, now you know how they are saving you some money in premiums

So, let me get this straight. you are trying to save money in insurance premiums by bypassing carriers that have local agents. But you desire the knowledge & competence of those agents that pay staff, taxes, benefits, payroll taxes, property taxes, etc in their local communities from the commissions paid by carriers for representing those carriers.

interesting, dont you think?

Good luck, now you know how they are saving you some money in premiums

No Sir. You are incompetent in that fact you clearly dont understand what you read. Move along troll.

Did you give your SIL a chance to shop it for you? That's what she do! It's been my personal experience that it's way cheaper in the long run to have a pro-active agent on your side when it comes to stuff like auto insurance.:idea:

This is simple, Chris. If you want the 10% off you do what the app wants you to do. Otherwise forego the 10% discount. You aren't going to change the app or the underwriting requirements.

Yes adjusterjack., I did decline the use of the app and as a result my premium went up but it's still over $500 p/yr cheaper than my renewal rate. BTW, my sister in law did shop for me and my renewal rate with Progressive was over $200 less than the next closest competitor.

However, I'm just trying to raise awareness of the technology being used. I highly doubt Geico is leading the cutting edge technology in the insurance industry. I would assume most major carriers are using similar apps. Although, I don't know if they are all asking for the same access. Apps like this one infringe on a persons personal information. I acknowledge a person has a choice whether they want to use the app or not. Its a personal choice. However, no company or industry should be asking to infringe upon a persons personal information.

Think of it this way. Say your phone had a cracked screen and you brought it to me to fix it. I tell you to fix your screen, I WANT, not need, but WANT to look through your text messages and photos contained on your phone. If you allow me, I'll discount your repair $50. If you don't, it will cost you an extra $50. You may or may not have data on there you wouldn't want me to see. Either way, its irrelevant. I don't need to see it to fix your phone.

Last edited:
You are completely overthinking the process and because if this you are costing yourself 10% of your premium. Some carriers installed devices in order to monitor usage. Since not all vehicles are driven in the same manner, carriers were able to offer better rates to people who dont drive much, dont drive during the week, dont drive at excessive speeds. The devices worked but mechanics kept taking them out of vehicles on inspections and not reinstalling them. Cars were sold and the device was left in the car. So, carriers went the cell phone app direction. The only downside is that the APPS register everytime your phone moves. You have to turn on the airplane mode if you aren't driving, if you are on a bus, train, or plane. The APP needs your permission to access the functions so it can ping off a cell tower and track your position. I have known people to save hundreds of dollars in premium. It is not spying on you any more than APPLE already does. If you dont want to save money that's on you but a nerd would want to take advantage it would seem.

We are all aware of what information is being gathered using these apps. You are confusing what Geico gathers and the permissions they request and assuming all telematrics work the same. You are correct in assuming you are more intelligent than the agent that aswered the phone. My kindergartener understands insurance better than a Geico call center rep. You are still choosing to do business with them. However you really didn't circumvent much with Geico because they have been known to ask for all cell phone records and access to all records BEFORE they pay out a claim. They want you to prove you weren't on the phone before they pay up. You would be shocked at the lengths a company will go through to pay you less or not at all.. Geico is a company that tries to find a reason not to pay, hence the universal dislike of them across the industry. I would fixate more on the overall crappiness of their business model and less on if they can access your Aunt Mays phone number. If there was a way to mine data collected to sell more customers, Progressive would have figured it out already.

Back