Geico - Total Loss

mainhoon

Hello,

my car was stolen and recovered and geico determined it to be a total loss due to the body scratches and dents. Now, I had to spend a couple of days in taking uber to go to the tow yard and hour away from home and 2 police stations to get the vehicle release form. I also used uber to take/pickup the car to/from the body shop. I incurred expenses in this regard.

1) they are treating these as transportation expenses with a 25$ daily max. It doesn’t cover my expenses. I incurred nearly 100$ on my trip to the tow yard alone. Why would this not be just covered by the comprehensive claim? They covered tow and storage charges for the towing company. I am making this argument to them as these trips were not for leisure and GEICo didn’t offer to bring the car to me. It is only 140$ total and they are only reimbursing 50$. because of the 25$ a day cap.

2) I do have rental reimbursement of 35$ upto 1050$/30 days. In good faith I didn’t jump on a rental right away and start billing geico thinking that was not necessary. I thought they might give me some cash settlement or lump sump towards uber use or the fact that I am using my wife’s car. They don’t appreciate that fact and so I am thinking of just renting a car and let them pay for it. In this day and age I find it antiquated that uber rides are treated differently from renting a car - it should be left to the customer how they mix and match needs.

Please let me know if I am right in (1) and is there a cash settlement possible for (2)? I haven’t even started looking for a new car yet and I am without a car.

thanks!

Agree with Fed Up. You're covered for what your policy says. Transportation expenses and car rental are apparently handled differently by your policy.

By the way, any expense reimbursement generally ends when you get told how much your claim payment is.

Time to get out and go car shopping.

You have rental at $35 per day. Would you expect GEICO to reimburse if you rented at $50 per day for a total of $1500?

Consider it even because they already saved you 15% & 15 minutes. Maybe you are experiencing where they find the ways to be able to save you the 15%

Hello,

my car was stolen and recovered and geico determined it to be a total loss due to the body scratches and dents. Now, I had to spend a couple of days in taking uber to go to the tow yard and hour away from home and 2 police stations to get the vehicle release form. I also used uber to take/pickup the car to/from the body shop. I incurred expenses in this regard.

1) they are treating these as transportation expenses with a 25$ daily max. It doesn’t cover my expenses. I incurred nearly 100$ on my trip to the tow yard alone. Why would this not be just covered by the comprehensive claim? They covered tow and storage charges for the towing company. I am making this argument to them as these trips were not for leisure and GEICo didn’t offer to bring the car to me. It is only 140$ total and they are only reimbursing 50$. because of the 25$ a day cap.

2) I do have rental reimbursement of 35$ upto 1050$/30 days. In good faith I didn’t jump on a rental right away and start billing geico thinking that was not necessary. I thought they might give me some cash settlement or lump sump towards uber use or the fact that I am using my wife’s car. They don’t appreciate that fact and so I am thinking of just renting a car and let them pay for it. In this day and age I find it antiquated that uber rides are treated differently from renting a car - it should be left to the customer how they mix and match needs.

Please let me know if I am right in (1) and is there a cash settlement possible for (2)? I haven’t even started looking for a new car yet and I am without a car.

thanks!
I understand you very well. I also had a difficult situation with the car. This happened last year. I was at the store when my car was stolen. The police were there and they stopped the robber, but the car was damaged... a lot, it was the worst day ever.... I was lucky because the car was insured, they helped me and paid all the expenses. After that, I used their services again, if you are interested, I can share and you will see what this cheap car insurance is for today. This site has insurance for all types of cars. I'm very lucky, I'll never forget this day, it's good to have the police, thank you guys!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back