General Agent Contract with Ohio National

ereilly

Is anyone acting as a General Agent under the Career Builder contract with Ohio National? I am considering an opportunity to open an agency, and I would like to hear from others considering the opportunity, or others who are Career Builder General Agents with Ohio National.

Most of us here have PPGA contracts, or are brokers through a local career builder GA.

The main person I think of for career building GA's with Ohio National is Art Sanger with the Wisconsin Financial Group. He used to be a national LEAP trainer, but now has his own software called "Wealthbuilding Cornerstones" or something like that.

Home | Wisconsin Financial Group, Inc.

They're looking to open builder agencies even in states where they have been independent only. They've also started (or will be) allowing independent contracts in previously "career only" states.

What feedback do people have about the GA Career Builder contract? I'd be starting a scratch agency and will need to recriuit career builder agents.

I doubt you will find any here. To the best of my knowledge, everyone here is a PPGA.

Your best bet is to call some of the agencies up north in their career states and speak to the GA.

I spoke with them about it over a year ago. At that time my impression was they were trying to do it "cheaply" and not invest enough in the GA. If you want to build then you have to understand you are competing against NYL, MML, NWL, etc for newbie agents. Therefore things like office locale, staff, infrastructure, etc matters and needs to be at least at the level of the competition. That cost $$$.

I understand they have sweetened the pot since then but I think they cap out around $150k as far as GA investment. That ain't enough. By comparison, other insurers were quite willing to invest $400-500,000 in a start up GA. FWIW.

I spoke with them about it over a year ago. At that time my impression was they were trying to do it "cheaply" and not invest enough in the GA. If you want to build then you have to understand you are competing against NYL, MML, NWL, etc for newbie agents. Therefore things like office locale, staff, infrastructure, etc matters and needs to be at least at the level of the competition. That cost $$$.

I understand they have sweetened the pot since then but I think they cap out around $150k as far as GA investment. That ain't enough. By comparison, other insurers were quite willing to invest $400-500,000 in a start up GA. FWIW.

Sounds like an offer best avoided.

I'm going to be contacting Ohio National tomorrow, but can anyone give me an idea of their comp structure, or what I'd be looking at? I'm in CA.

Assuming you are talking about a PGA, the comp schedule is all over the place really. It is also dependent on prior production and once you are on board current production.

Back