General Agent Release

InsuranceInfo1015

I have seen this subject discussed a lot on the forum and forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I am working with a General Agent who told me when I joined her that a lot of General Agents' require a contract. She said she does not require a signed contract with her agents therefore will not hold agents to her. Agents are free to leave if they choose. I asked to be released - she said she will not sign the release and the release will be effective in 180 days. I do not have a contract with her. Can she still hold me for the 6 months? Thank you.

Depends on the carrier, but they can usually hold you for six months. The lack of a contract being signed is something that's garbage, but it is standard business and the way carriers handle it.

Best thing to do is get the clock ticking on the release and maybe find some other carriers to work with in the meantime. They can't hold you down all carriers.

You have a new GA? Plenty of good folks on here that can help you.

He asked if she can hold him if you read the question.

The answer is no. The carriers are a different issue and question

I have seen this subject discussed a lot on the forum and forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I am working with a General Agent who told me when I joined her that a lot of General Agents' require a contract. She said she does not require a signed contract with her agents therefore will not hold agents to her. Agents are free to leave if they choose. I asked to be released - she said she will not sign the release and the release will be effective in 180 days. I do not have a contract with her. Can she still hold me for the 6 months? Thank you.

You can contract to sell different companies any time you want to. The companies you contracted under her will be tied up at least 6-months from the time you contact them and cancel the contracts. Some will let you move after 6-months of no sales but not all. It's best to contact them to be sure.

He asked if she can hold him if you read the question. The answer is no. The carriers are a different issue and question

You continue to prove yourself a value add to the forum...no. Thanks for your 2 months of experience and advice. If the IMO won't grant the release they are stuck...moronic.

Back