General Question About Child on Policy

BibH

Guru
100+ Post Club
My son is on his my ex wifes policy. If he drives my car and wrecks it won't his insurance cover the claim and not mine?

So you're saying even if he is insured under a car thru my ex wife and he drives my car now and then if he wrecks it the claim will go under my insurance and not his?That makes no sense. If i didn't wreck the car will my insurance go up or his? He's the one that had the accident so it won't go on my driving record. Please explain

As Hesse said, insurance follows the car. Look at your dec page sometime, what is insured is the car and you (and anyone else on the policy) are listed as drivers. That is good, because what if you allowed someone who didn't have insurance to drive your car? If insurance did not follow the car, then there would be no insurance and both the driver and you as the owner of the vehicle would face all liability.

Of course, the opposite is true as well. Insurance does follow you, so if you are driving someone's car and their insurance is insufficient then your insurance can step in.

There are some generalities here. Some policies excluded unlisted drivers and some policies do not follow you to non-owned or rented vehicles. As always, read your policy.

The reason i'm asking is my son who lives with is mother totaled my car.. As was said the car was covered and they never asked if the driver had insurance. Now the company's coming back and asking if the driver lives in my house which he does not. So my question is since my son is insured with another company does that mean i can't let him drive any of my cars again. I'd had a 10 yr accident free discount which means i had one free accident. But lets say i didn't since i wasn't driving the car would my premium have risen because the car was wrecked?I thought the wreck would be held against the driver?

The reason i'm asking is my son who lives with is mother totaled my car.. As was said the car was covered and they never asked if the driver had insurance. Now the company's coming back and asking if the driver lives in my house which he does not. So my question is since my son is insured with another company does that mean i can't let him drive any of my cars again. I'd had a 10 yr accident free discount which means i had one free accident. But lets say i didn't since i wasn't driving the car would my premium have risen because the car was wrecked?I thought the wreck would be held against the driver?

I won't answer the question about a premium increase, that is always company specific. Although it is likely.

To answer why they were asking. Undisclosed drivers are a huge problem right now. Permissive drivers are generally covered unless explicitly excluded. Many people have been abused that by not telling the agent/company about a teen driver, child returning home, new live in bf/gf, spouse, etc. Everyone living in the household should be disclosed and rated. So yes, they were wanting to make sure if he really lived with his mother or in your household. Since they did pay the claim, unless they add an exclusion to your policy he is going to be covered when he again comes over and borrows one of your cars. And they will make sure you know if he is excluded. Now, should he move in with you, that changes everything.

Back