Getting a Group Health Client to Commit

Labman

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm doing pretty good at getting appointments, getting a census and making a presentation to small business owners. But I have a long way to go in closing the deal. I continously get my butt kicked my the incumbent agent, probably more so out of loyalty by the business owner than any other reason.

My lack of a good closing technique is driving me crazy as I know some of these agents aren't doing a good job, but of course the business owner doesn't realize that. I know I need to be more assertive, but I'm finding it hard to get a commitment tactfully. So that is why I'm asking you guys for some good strategies to deal with the loyalty issue. Thanks!

Closing group always sounds easier than it is. Also, keep in mind it may take several cycles to close them, not just the first renewal that comes up. It is a slow, patient business.

Now, you have to be honest with yourself as well. What do you offer that the current broker doesn't? Really? Remember, every agent tries to do a good job. Yes, I know some don't, but they don't survive very long. Your statement that you can take care of them better simply doesn't mean anything, unless you can back this up.

What I recommend:
- Approach it from a relationship, not a sale. Realize only a small percentage will close this year. Keep notes, stay in touch throughout the year (send thank you cards, holiday cards, etc), and make sure you have permission to come back next year.
- Have a document, basically a resume for your agency, that talks about you and the 5 reasons they should do business with you. Have this printed on nice paper with a high quality print. Include pictures. Remember, this represents you. For some reason, people believe things more when you tell them and show them the same thing in writing (a written guarantee type of mentality, just don't say those words).

Group is tough. Personally, I deal with small group, under 10 lives, where competition tends to not be as heavy. This blends well with my P&C business. Unfortunately, lately, this has become a very sought after market and the competition has stepped up significantly.

Dan

ask up front are you willing to change agents, if you don't get a firm YES, then move on, they will take your ideas your price and gift wrap them to their current agent,

Being new I've tried hitting on every size business from 5 to fifty. None of which seem to be "neglected". Now, convincing the business owner that their long time agent isn't doing the best job possible has been extremely difficult for me. My closing skills must really suck!:D

ask up front are you willing to change agents, if you don't get a firm YES, then move on, they will take your ideas your price and gift wrap them to their current agent,

Good advice. Recently, I had a small group inquiry(from the owner), and the complaint was they weren't happy with their current agent, and would I prepare some quotes for them, etc.

I mailed them an AOR Letter, with a return envelope. After a week, I called and the admin. asst., that was so excited for me to be their new agent, said that "after discussing it with the boss, they'd rather me send some proposals first, they weren't ready to change agents just yet".

Naturally, I thought, Aha, you are not ready to change agents, just plans. Your agent is lazy so you want me to do the work for him, no thanks, why don't you shiot and fall back in it. Bye.

right on bill3173, that how i feel, if they won't give you the AOR move on, they like golfing and bowling with their lazy agent, but won't tell him to get off his A## and work for them

Why would someone sign an AOR if you have done nothing for them yet? What have you done to earn their business?

I understand the frustration with taking the time to run quotes and getting nothing out of it. To me that is part of the sales cycle though.

Dan

Back