Getting Appointed

tebb23

Expert
I am going to apologize upfront if this is a honda, I did search "appointed" and a ton of stuff came back, but nothing looked like what I was looking for.

To my question, is there a thread or list some where of people to contact to write insurance for a particular company? Like if I wanted to contact Progressive for example to sell for them, is there a list with companies and contacts or does everyone just try and do this on their own?

To me this would be a great thread/list as it would be a time saver for new agents and it would be a great reference point. There seems to be a ton of knowledge and experience on these boards and from reading the threads it seems most are willing to help. If this is already listed can someone please point me in the right direction, and if it is not, does anyone else feel this would be a good idea?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

here, I will give you a list of all my company reps, but they are in AZ and wont do you any good,

If fact, they would be so pissed if we have out those names and phone numbers etc.....

Stop in and talk to a local IA and see if they will give you the contact info.

I think what RBA is trying to say (in as nice a way as he knows how) is that a list like that would be worthless on this forum since we are all from different states and those that are in your state see you as competition so it certainly would not be in their favor to hand you their contacts.

Getting appointed by different carriers is just one of those things that you will have to take care of yourself. Although, there are quite a few threads on here concerning which carriers are better for certain lines of insurance, etc so you can get valuable information first, thus narrowing down your list at least.

Good luck!

Unless I missed it, what kind of insurance?

You can go direct with some companies but must go through someone else (FMO, IMO) with other companies.

Due to the reference to Progressive, I assume he is talking P&C.

Most P&C carriers have local marketing reps that deal with appointments. The carrier doesn't publish a list for a reason. You submit your info online with the carrier, the marketing rep will call you, if they are taking appointments.

Dan

you can call their main number and ask for marketing department. but getting the appointment is a whole other thing.

Thank you for the replies, and I see/understand the lack of list reasons. I was referring to P&C and have started some initial contacting via websites. Something else that may be helpful, has anyone found the process for appointment to be long or pretty quick or like everything just varies with who you deal with? I guess that will be the last thing to do as you most places want to know your E&O limits, license numbers and so on in order to even evaluate you.

from my experience,

they want top 3 carriers of commercial and top 3 carriers of personal.
volume, loss ratio, etc...

E&O is a must, AMS maybe, Business plan sometimes

most want big books before they even consider you, buts its not impossible to get direct carriers

Back