Getting Appointed

I own an agency. It is me and my assistant. We have a group health book as well as a Medicare book and are located in NJ.

I am looking to get involved in P&C because I think I am leaving a lot of business on the table.

Any recommendations? I am looking to be able to offer a number of different companies so that I am competitive a majority of the time. I have quite a few relationships and if I can be competitive then I am confident I can get a majority of the business that comes my way.

I am thinking that some sort of general agency will enable me to offer a number of different companies without prior production, however, I want to be able to offer individual auto and home insurance and not only commercial P&C. Does anyone have any recommendations as to general agencies or marketing organizations that will give me access to many different companies, from the first day that I get set up with them, on both the individual and commercial sides of the business so that I can be competitive in most instances as well as be able to BOR policies? I also want to own the business so that I can take the book with me when I get enough personal production.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are going to need to licensed in P&C first, add E&O coverage, and get appointed with companies to sell.

You may have a hard time doing so due to the fact it seems you have little to no experience in P&C and no P&C book. You may want to think about bringing someone on with experience or partnering up with someone to send business to. Another option is to pursue a cluster in which you will get access to different companies but they will take a percentage of the commission. Otherwise reach out to some P&C companies and see what their requirement are for getting appointed.

Where in NJ are you?

Insurance Guy 375, I created a start up agency in P&C based off of one thing, and that was having a decent business model, and plan in place. I have appointments with Safeco, Travelers, Progressive, Grange, The Hartford, ASI, and American Modern. I did use Iroquouis Group to get appointed with two of these carriers as I needed to have them in two other states. It is a slower process but most reps will ask you for a business plan.

I can point you in the right direction if you need any assistance.

J

Insurance Guy 375, I created a start up agency in P&C based off of one thing, and that was having a decent business model, and plan in place. I have appointments with Safeco, Travelers, Progressive, Grange, The Hartford, ASI, and American Modern. I did use Iroquouis Group to get appointed with two of these carriers as I needed to have them in two other states. It is a slower process but most reps will ask you for a business plan.

I can point you in the right direction if you need any assistance.

J

Did you use Iroquois to acquire Safeco or contact them directly? I'm presently considering adding Safeco to my agency.

I am finding it is really to get appoitment in 5 boroughs of ny.
Even Companies like siaa, smart choice, agent secure don't have acess here.

I just emailed Iroquois. Lets see what they say.

Is it easy to get through safeco?

It would be great if you could point me in the right direction! Please let me know what you recommend. Thanks so much!

Back