Getting Dec Pages and Quoting Info from a Potential Customer

atmax1612

I work for a independent p&c -life-comm agency. When talking to potential cust, I'm looking for ideas on how to get them to get me their dec pages and coverage info. I can close 75% of the ones where I can get the needed info. Most want to let you try to help them, but getting them to get their info is like pulling teeth. Would love some ideas on how to put some urgency into them and ways to help them get their coverage info. Thanks

I work for a independent p&c -life-comm agency. When talking to potential cust, I'm looking for ideas on how to get them to get me their dec pages and coverage info. I can close 75% of the ones where I can get the needed info. Most want to let you try to help them, but getting them to get their info is like pulling teeth. Would love some ideas on how to put some urgency into them and ways to help them get their coverage info. Thanks

It takes time and persistence. You have to be able to qualify the prospect to determine how much time you want to spend on them sometimes. I recently wrote an account that i spent 18 months calling on. they didnt keep their policy book at the office, and could never remember to bring it. I eventually got their FEIN and a rough idea of payroll, gave them a rough estimate on GL and WC and about 2 weeks later got them to find a proposal. Wrote the account 1 week later.

i never get decs...most carriers prefill info anyway so i just get name/bday/address and chat about cars.

As far as commercial goes I would make coverage exclusions a sticking point in addition to the need to know the exposure their policy is currently rated on so you can provide them an 'apples to apples' comparison.

If you're familiar with the industry give an example about a possible coverage exclusion (landscapers - a lot of carriers tack on snow removal exclusion/restriction; for field contractors in general you could mention Railroad Protective Liab; bars/clubs/low income housing - assault & battery exclusion, etc)

For commercial, I wouldn't just get dec pages. I would get whole policy to find the coverage differences. I typically get the policy and make a copy of it (assuming it is worth your time and not a 1k bop). I ask for it in person (not over email or phone). I would just ask them: do you want me to quote you bare bones to keep premium as cheap as possible, apples to apples, or quote with all the bells and whistles. They will probably say apples to apples in which case you can say "good, let me grab your current policy while I'm here so I can make sure to get it as close as possible." I would never just quote apples to apples because you're not adding value and that's how you get rolled. If they still won't provide it, I would move onto the next one because it's highly unlikely that you are writing that account.

I'm normally targeting the 10-40k range, but mostly work with contractors with auto and comp exposure. Still get plenty of 1k accounts but I don't spend time prospecting those. The largest account I've had was about 120k but average account size is 15k-20k.

Back