Getting declined due to having a Episiotomy!! Anyone heard of that?

Willyc

I had a client that had a baby last year and the midwife ended up performing an episiotomy. It was medically unnecessary and she had no idea they even did it until we received the paper work recently. She's very healthy, 26, weighs 115 pounds, 5'6, and runs every day. I work for NYL and think this is nuts. I think the client could possibly file a class action lawsuit against the office. That could potentially be life changing for the family if something happen to the mother/wife because the family would get nothing.

Thoughts anyone???

I had a client that had a baby last year and the midwife ended up performing an episiotomy. It was medically unnecessary and she had no idea they even did it until we received the paper work recently. She's very healthy, 26, weighs 115 pounds, 5'6, and runs every day. I work for NYL and think this is nuts. I think the client could possibly file a class action lawsuit against the office. That could potentially be life changing for the family if something happen to the mother/wife because the family would get nothing.

Thoughts anyone???

Did you used to be an "ambulance chasing attorney"?

This can be a very common procedure - which is why they LET midwives DO them in the first place. It isn't a serious surgery. Unless she got a serious infection or something as a result... there is no case here.

Of course, I'm not an attorney. But if you LIKE watching those daytime television ads for attorneys looking for clients who were "wronged"... be my guest.

My best recommendation: get a new hobby and write the client through someone else. You gave NYL "first right of refusal"... and they did so. Just write it with a cover letter explanation.

Last edited:
Hobby? I was trying to get a valid response. If i was searching for jokes I wouldn't be here DHK. In the 3 years at NYL and after writing 447 life apps.. I have never come across this so I thought I would ask.

Sounded like a joke to me. I didn't know the term, so I looked it up.

I have three kids, and I was present for their births. Yes, my wife (at the time) was afraid of having that tearing happen - it never did.

But YOU were the one that claimed that it could be a "class action lawsuit".

Yes, I did say that only because THEY brought that to my attention. I thought it was interesting bc lets say she passes away in the next year or even the next 30. She will never have the $750,000 WL policy they applied for. Life changing if God for bid she passed away unexpected while the kids were still in the house.

I'm guessing that NYL is making a bigger deal of it than it should be.

Episiotomy - Wikipedia

Its routine use is no longer recommended.[1] Despite this, it is one of the most common medical procedures performed on women. In the United States, as of 2012, it was performed in 12% of vaginal births.[1] It is still widely practiced in many parts of the world, including Japan, Taiwan, China, and Spain.[2][3]

Unless something went wrong, I don't see where the lawsuit applies.

lol. This actually reminds me of a time back when I was a banker and I had a customer apply for a home equity line of credit with me. He moved his entire banking relationship to me at Wells Fargo because Washington Mutual wouldn't approve his home equity line of credit (that tells you how long ago it was).

The reason: He had a $1 collection on his credit report that was unpaid.

He applied with me. It never came up. Got approved and took care of business.

Sometimes underwriters make dumb decisions.

Yes, I did say that only because THEY brought that to my attention. I thought it was interesting bc lets say she passes away in the next year or even the next 30. She will never have the $750,000 WL policy they applied for. Life changing if God for bid she passed away unexpected while the kids were still in the house.
Can't you just have Crump shop it for you since she was declined by NY Life?

I can't see many carriers having an issue with this.

Also, you have no shot at a lawsuit...just write her elsewhere.

DHK So you are telling me as a professional you would sit in front of a client and tell them to pull up Wikipedia? Anybody in the world can post on that site. I thought it was common knowledge that professionals never relate to that site. That procedure was big back in the 70's and 80's. Now its a very dangerous practice. Very shocked you are referring to that site. Note sure how you have any credibility. Thanks and have a good one.

Back