Getting declined due to having a Episiotomy!! Anyone heard of that?

OP works for New York Life. There is no “elsewhere” for hem, I presume. This $750,000 whole life case is going to go to another agent if it goes anywhere. What the OP should be doing is trying to find an agent here who can split the case and get this lady covered.
NY Life reps can broker out declined cases (at least the ones I work with can)...I think it used to be Crump but could be Ash or one of the other large BGAs.

OP should have options.

I hate to be the one to break the news to you. It is sad but true that companies can insure who they want. Maybe she has bad credit or something they aren't telling you. Or maybe they have had 3 people die in the last year that had the same procedure. Not being a smart ass just stating a fact.

All I can say is wow! I've seen people on the forums blow a head gasket before, but never quite that fast! But I applaud your gracious response to him @DHK .

Thanks. Sometimes it's entertaining. Other times, I scratch my head. This is one of those times.

And this is a forum, not a scholastic or academic paper. I can link or cite whatever I want! :)

@Willyc, just curious. How old are you and how long have you been an agent? I'm not being a smartass either (that's @goillini52 's job!:1wink:). But you seem inexperienced just due to the nature of your question. You seem young due to the overreactive nature of your response to DHK! Everybody else in this thread is a veteran agent, and they're all giving you the same advice. There's likely more to the story behind the decline than a simple episiotomy. Best thing you can do is try to broker this one out.

According to him:

That's a very good amount of applications. I wonder if that's by working payroll deduction with NYL? No medical exams.

Employee's Whole Life policy.
Oh, my bad. I missed that. It's just hard to believe an experienced agent would think a decline would merit a lawsuit! Sure, complain, get mad, get your manager to call the underwriter, I get all that. But a lawsuit?

I see your point about number of policies. I worked voluntary benefits for several years and wrote a boatload of applications at worksites!

He wanted his client to sue the doctor's office or hospital for having done the "unnecessary" procedure in the first place... not NYL for declining coverage.

Could you imagine a NYL getting a client to sue his employer??? lol.
Ok, I can see that's probably what he meant. But because he was talking about loss of protection, I thought he seemed to be focused on what he felt was a bad underwriting decision.

It seems just as funny to me that a life insurance agent can deem a procedure "medically unnecessary". Is he a doctor? What if her doctor were to declare life insurance as "financially unnecessary"?

Back