Getting "in" with Mortgage Brokers and Realtors

koz2015

I know this has probably been asked a million times but as I scrolled I did not see a post.

I know for home insurance mortgage brokers and realtors are a BIG resource. My question is, how do you get in the door? I tried emailing, going door to door, doing a presentation at the offices, etc.. I can't seem to get the realtors to use me. We have almost every company writing in the state and i'm very knowledgable on them all. The problem seems to be my approach. I'm a great agent, not so much as a marketer. Any tips?

I know this has probably been asked a million times but as I scrolled I did not see a post.

I know for home insurance mortgage brokers and realtors are a BIG resource. My question is, how do you get in the door? I tried emailing, going door to door, doing a presentation at the offices, etc.. I can't seem to get the realtors to use me. We have almost every company writing in the state and i'm very knowledgable on them all. The problem seems to be my approach. I'm a great agent, not so much as a marketer. Any tips?

My recommendation would be to join a networking group like BNI,NPI, and Le Tip which they are almost required to use you. At that point you would have an in at the office to try and expand your opportunities. Good Luck.

Go to the realtor meeting. Almost every town has them, where realtors can talk about new things happening, new listings, exciting deals, etc.

Don't market to them, make friends with them.

Realize that almost every other P&C agent in town is doing the same thing, trying to get their attention, you have to stand out from the crowd a bit. Be clear in what you offer them that other agents don't offer them.

Then, step back for a moment and realize that most realtors don't close very many houses in a year. I would think the average is 2 to 3 per YEAR. Some realtors do much better then this, some not this well. Start figuring which ones you want to focus on, try to set up a meeting with them and find out what they need to refer people to you.

Start looking at stats in your town. How many houses actually close in a month (almost any realtor can tell you)? What is your real opportunity here? Is it worth the effort? Most times it is, but sometimes you realize its not as good as someone made it sound.

Dan

I'm looking to get some more feedback on this. I've been trying this angle of working both with mortgage brokers and Realtor's. Honestly I have had little success as of right now. Mortgage brokers meet with me but then it seem to fall by the wayside...I'll send a hand written thank you note and then struggle to determine what the next follow up should be? Do I go drop off information (if so what kind of information), do I send them an email, do I call them?

Regarding Relators...feeling at least as of right now its brick wall. If they do talk to me they say well they don't get involved in this. Do you think dropping off a package of information for say 1st time home buyers along with maybe a coupon/flyer offering a free gift card to the new home buyer to get a quote from me would be used? I am just trying to find a system that will allow me to have some of these individuals as referral partners. Any ideas/suggestions?

You might take a look at Recamp. I know agents who used to use it and did well. I personally took the idea and implemented it myself.

It gives you a value add, something other agents aren't doing so you'll find yourself having more conversations with more realtors / mortgage guys. It is a brick wall to get in with a handful, but if you do, it can be very good.

» Products

Keep in mind, I don't know anyone currently using Recamp, I just know it did work back in the day. Its sort of like SendOutCards, which was hot for a while. Heck, there used to be a version of Recamp in SendOutCards, but that really didn't work for insurance agents as well.

Dan

You might take a look at Recamp. I know agents who used to use it and did well. I personally took the idea and implemented it myself.

It gives you a value add, something other agents aren't doing so you'll find yourself having more conversations with more realtors / mortgage guys. It is a brick wall to get in with a handful, but if you do, it can be very good.

Keep in mind, I don't know anyone currently using Recamp, I just know it did work back in the day. Its sort of like SendOutCards, which was hot for a while. Heck, there used to be a version of Recamp in SendOutCards, but that really didn't work for insurance agents as well.

Dan

Maybe I suck at the internet, but I visited their website and there seems to be no place to give them my money in exchange for their service. Weird!

Back