Getting into Health Insurance Market

Dynnodave

I am new to the fourm and looking for advice. I sold health insurance years ago and am looking to get back into the game here in Indiana. I have studied ACA and non-compliant plans (short-term, etc) and want to do this independently and possibly build an agency down the road. I am looking for someone to work with to train me and help me be successful. It seems that the organizations I have talked to either don't have time, don't have experience or want me to write business through their agency. I don't mind working with a manager who gets overrides but I would like to be contracted directly with the insurance companies.

I am looking for someone to work with who is very familiar with ACA, what to do with small groups and also familiar with Medicare Advantage / med sups / MAPD and is currently writing business in the health insurance and/or Medicare market.

Thank you in advance!

you def dont want to sell aca plans in INDIANA to IFP folks, they expanded medicaid to folks making up to 17k, that kills a whole segment of the population.

you def dont want to sell aca plans in INDIANA to IFP folks, they expanded medicaid to folks making up to 17k, that kills a whole segment of the population.

I'm in a Medicaid to $17K state and consider it a blessing that I don't have to deal with the $10k to $17k crowd. Something must be wired different in the brains of really low-income adults when it comes to their health insurance mentality. So many negative stories from agents in non-expansion states regarding their $10k to $17K clients. Roughly 90% of my lapses have been from the $17k to $23K income clients. Can't imagine chasing down a $12k income guy reminding him to pay his $25 premium every month.

I take it that your clients in this income range are pretty reliable and stable, YGMM?

I'm in a Medicaid to $17K state and consider it a blessing that I don't have to deal with the $10k to $17k crowd. Something must be wired different in the brains of really low-income adults when it comes to their health insurance mentality. So many negative stories from agents in non-expansion states regarding their $10k to $17K clients. Roughly 90% of my lapses have been from the $17k to $23K income clients. Can't imagine chasing down a $12k income guy reminding him to pay his $25 premium every month.

I take it that your clients in this income range are pretty reliable and stable, YGMM?

You chase down people to remind them to pay their premium? I figure if they aren't responsible enough to pay their premium then I probably don't need them as a client.

I figure if they aren't responsible enough to pay their premium then I probably don't need them as a client.

That's the way I handle all my clients and have for years. Early on I would follow up on lapse notices but most of the time when I called it had already been handled.

I have one Medigap client that is late every month but it never lapses.

I don't call or email her either.

Mark, everyone is different and runs things the way they want. Personally, I don't have time to deal with deadbeats. I know some that essentially run a debit with their policyholders and call them almost every month when the premium is late.

More power to them. Just don't expect me to do it.

My agency can take you from agent, to agency, to call center if you'd like. We're pro's at it and we were two of the 8 founders of the highest producing health insurance agency in the entire USA. You also get an SEO'd website. Mine is #1 in my state after the DOI when looking for an agency, agent, or agents, and I do my own SEO.

What's the name of the website?

Also kg what would you use to track this, I find it a total time suck and pretty much impossible to stay on top of.

Back