Getting Licensed with a Fraud Charge

manifold

Expert
A while ago I got mixed up with some family having me sign a couple documents that lead to a fraud dispute. I hired a lawyer, I was charged but we are working on the case to get dismissed since there was no intent as well as the other party to plea guilty that they didn't mean to have me sign a document that would have me convicted. This happened in my early 20s.

If the case gets dismissed will that still hinder me from getting a license? I've gotten hired at a life insurance firm but did not think that it would inhibit me from getting a license until I read up on a insurance website claiming that a charge like that would be an issue.

I have not given said life insurance firm a start date yet. Please Advise. The charge is bankruptcy fraud charge and it was to try and save the family estate.

I would say it certainly could be an issue. I doubt you can get a license if the case is still not closed. You should probably check with your state DOI, that will be the final say vs an internet forum.

A while ago I got mixed up with some family having me sign a couple documents that lead to a fraud dispute. I hired a lawyer, I was charged but we are working on the case to get dismissed since there was no intent as well as the other party to plea guilty that they didn't mean to have me sign a document that would have me convicted. This happened in my early 20s.

If the case gets dismissed will that still hinder me from getting a license? I've gotten hired at a life insurance firm but did not think that it would inhibit me from getting a license until I read up on a insurance website claiming that a charge like that would be an issue.

I have not given said life insurance firm a start date yet. Please Advise. The charge is bankruptcy fraud charge and it was to try and save the family estate.

Even if it's dismissed, be prepared to have to explain it when you try to contract with companies. Some ask if you've been convicted...some ask if you've been charged. Just tell the truth.

Insurance companies have been known to hire someone not convicted yet and fire upon any conviction. You should talk these issues with a lawyer, some are more experienced than others. You may need a 2nd opinion if you are going to plead guilty to a lesser charge.

Unfortunately, bankruptcy fraud has no statue of limitations. You helped a relative file a false statement with a Federal Bankruptcy Judge. I am sure you did not do this knowing the consequences. On the plus side, because this is federal jurisdiction, they go after larger cases and yours may settle lightly because Feds always have larger fish to fry.

Which insurance firm? WFG?

So my license is in "Pending"

They sent back a letter for more information to the insurance company.

Will the letter be regarding explaining whats on my background check?

Fast forward the relative plead guilty to a felony conviction to not face long prison time.

And I got my charge reduced/dismissed to just "Contempt of court". I told the lawyers about my financial job and needed a charge or a conviction that wouldn't prevent me from a job or HR for another company.

They explained contempt of court: Missing a court date, being unruly in court, forgetting evidence at him. etc. A minor misdemeanor similar to a traffic ticket.

But they believe I'll just to have to due the probation process and pay a fine.

So will I have to write everything down and explain what happened in laymans terms to the insurance company?

Also will the charge show up dismissed and will it be hard to get contracts with agencies?

Thank you.

You say:

• "my charge reduced/dismissed".
  • "A minor misdemeanor similar ot a traffic ticket"
  • "Just have to due (sic) the probation process"

Stop minimizing what's happened here. You have (or will) plead guilty to a criminal offense. You will have a criminal record. Any employer who does a background check on you (and virtually all do) will see that for the rest of your life.

Now, it's not a felony. Many companies have a policy against hiring felons, but no policy on misdemeanors. Still, you can expect to have to explain that in every job interview from this day forward.

So will I have to write everything down and explain what happened in laymans terms to the insurance company?

To anyone who ever does a background check, I'd imagine. Probably also when you get a mortgage, when you go to volunteer for an organization that does background checks, etc. You're blessed that it's not a felony but you still have a criminal record.

Also will the charge show up dismissed

I think you really need to talk with your lawyer again because based on this thread, the word "dismissed" is completely inappropriate. You were charged with fraud and plead guilty to contempt of court. Nothing was "dismissed". You plead guilty to a crime, no? You've been sentenced and will serve probation, right? Why are you using the word "dismissed"?

Are you familiar with probation? Your employer will know you're on probation. They may have to submit evidence that you work there. You'll need to take time off work to meet with your probation officer on a regular basis. You'll probably have to surrender your passport (sorry, no contest trips to the Bahamas) while on probation, and you may not be allowed to leave the state...depends how the feds do things vs. local.

I think you need to stop minimizing what's happened and focus on understanding all the ramifications.

I know for a fact that there is... I have employed them before, its very dependent on the type of infraction. License-able... that's up to the DOI and they are usually pretty forgiving of things beyond 5 years, but that depends on state, and type of infraction.

Back