Getting Over the Lazy Hump

iiinycboi

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hello everyone,

so i guess i'm going thru the phases of being independent.

i went thru the i cant stop learning and growing phase, searching for as much info as possible

the initial selling "high" where you get a rush of customers and the surge drives you to keep selling and seeking opportunities

then you hit the road blocks of the weirdo prospects/clients, and you try to satisfy what they want, wasting most of your time

now i'm at the point where all i have is weirdo's and no good clients. the referrals and business seems to come to a halt, with a few service work here and there.

How do you guys get over this? I'm slowly losing motivation to continue and dedication to push past it. Anyone go through this phase and just continued through?

btw this is p&c!

Start door knocking or some type of prospecting. A full pipe line means you can ignore the weirdos and let someone else waste their time with them.

When I was doing p/c, I would do reviews of coverage. This allowed me to ask them to bring in other coverage they had so we could include a review of all of their needs. If you do this, make sure you take the time to do a review, don't just rush through your stuff to get to the stuff you don't have.

Second, depending on how well I knew them. I would do a reverse address look up and ask about their neighbors. THey could give me details and info about them that would be helpful when sending letters. Always ask if it's okay to mention you have that person as an insured in the letter you send to the prospect. Not sure how well it would work up North, but in the South, it worked about as good as anything else.

ALso review who would be a contingent contact. So if I need to contact you and can not reach you, do you have any kids/relatives close by I would use as a second way to reach them. I landed my biggest account using this. All from speaking with the parents who said the adult child owned the property behind them. Called son and ended up writing a lot of coverage for him.

All it is finding ways to talk to people. Find a product you are very competitive with and really target that to generate busienss. With my old company it was church policies. You could get the van/bus and the driver's license of all those good/trustworthy drivers that the church trusted to driver the van. Now you have an address and could send a quick letter thanking them and offer a quote.

Several friends I know who started their own p/c shops said they would slowly be flooded with the people who have been cancelled by every other company. Sounds like what you are experiencing.

Good luck.

very true, seems like the pipeline is dry this month and im just frustrated over my wallet gone!

Damn man I knew I wasn't the only one. I'm in a similar situation but I am writing more deals than ever. Ive just been unmotivated to continue expanding because I enjoy a healthy amount of free time.

Here's an analogy for what I did: instead of walking to the river every day to get water, build a well. In the beginning, it may take more effort and you may still have to walk to the river to get water but when its built you can sit on your lazy ass all day and make money while pondering about all the things you should be doing but you're saying **** it too .

Stay thirsty my friends

yes, i still get a few clients and appointments, i continue to work, but just a grind and continue to do so to survive.... but i lost all motivation to want to achieve more.

i think its mostly me though, i just need that drive to continue seeking bigger accounts, but it feels like im stuck writing small bops and homes for the next few years!

maybe i am burnt out, i work 7 days a week at the office.

yes, i still get a few clients and appointments, i continue to work, but just a grind and continue to do so to survive.... but i lost all motivation to want to achieve more.

i think its mostly me though, i just need that drive to continue seeking bigger accounts, but it feels like im stuck writing small bops and homes for the next few years!

That is your problem. Take some time off.

Also, have you hired a CSR yet? Look at your budget and see if you can get one, even part time. Getting rid of some of the service work will help a ton too.

I have not done P&C in 20 years. But it is no different on the life side. We all hit that slump period. It is like a depression. All you can do is take just a day or two do something you enjoy, break the cycle. Then take a deep breath and get back in fight. For me I will stop "selling" for a day or so. I just make happy calls to clients. The "Hey Jose, Wino Blues, Your insurance guy. Just calling to see how you are doing and if there is anything I can do for you". Not a disguised sales call a real "just to say hi call". Gets me into a better frame of mind. It also generates business, so that helps.

If that fails, cold beer by day, red wine by night.

Back