Getting Re-licensed with Carriers As a Non-resident

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
So, I moved to California recently from Michigan. The whole licensing transfer process has been ridiculous and has basically resulted in me not being able to write much business at all over the course of almost 4 months.

I finally have my CA resident license and my MI license now as a non-resident. My immediate priority is to help existing clients in MI change plans, and to sign up a few referrals. I guess each of the carriers needs to update their records and turn me back on with my MI non-resident license as opposed to a MI resident license.

All the carriers I want to be licensed with were given a copy of my new non-resident MI license early last week. How long should it take to get going with them again? I mean I have books of business with several of them and I can answer "no" to all background questions, so I would think it should happen quickly. But that makes too much sense. It just seems like every step along the way has taken way longer than it should have. :mad:

So, I moved to California recently from Michigan. The whole licensing transfer process has been ridiculous and has basically resulted in me not being able to write much business at all over the course of almost 4 months.

I finally have my CA resident license and my MI license now as a non-resident. My immediate priority is to help existing clients in MI change plans, and to sign up a few referrals. I guess each of the carriers needs to update their records and turn me back on with my MI non-resident license as opposed to a MI resident license.

All the carriers I want to be licensed with were given a copy of my new non-resident MI license early last week. How long should it take to get going with them again? I mean I have books of business with several of them and I can answer "no" to all background questions, so I would think it should happen quickly. But that makes too much sense. It just seems like every step along the way has taken way longer than it should have. :mad:

It shouldn't take them but a few days to get you re-appointed for MI. On top of that, MI isn't a pre-appointment state, so you can probably go ahead and submit any new apps for there. I would check with the particular insurance company to make sure though.

It shouldn't take them but a few days to get you re-appointed for MI. On top of that, MI isn't a pre-appointment state, so you can probably go ahead and submit any new apps for there. I would check with the particular insurance company to make sure though.

So, I'm pretty ignorant about the process. I'm with a large, independent brokerage who contracts with over 20 carriers. We have a couple dozen agents, and one girl who handles the licensing for all of us. They use different FMOs, IMOs, etc. to get deals with the various carriers. I don't think our agency is considered an FMO.

The girl who handles licensing has various contacts at the different carriers, and she assures me she's doing everything she can (following up, etc.) to get my contracting done ASAP. But now it's been almost 2 weeks, and I've only heard back from one carrier that said I'm good to go.

With different FMOs and other marketing agencies, who handles licensing? Do those organizations do it for you, or does the agent go direct and work with each carrier, even if they're not contracted directly by the carrier? I'm not even sure I'm asking this right. She says that if I try and "go around her" to contact the carriers directly that I'm likely to get different information than she is. I asked her about the "pre-appointment" state rule about MI, and she said that it depends on the carrier. Well, duh.

I just wondered what other independent agents do when it comes to the licensing process, and how it works.

Question: did you lose any renewal or as earned commissions from your Michigan appointments during this process?

Thanks...

Question: did you lose any renewal or as earned commissions from your Michigan appointments during this process?

Thanks...

No, that won't happen because of how I have things set up with my agency.

OK, thanks, is that because you are paid by the agency and not the carriers?

Currently, I'm not.

But, that's one of the things I'm wondering: if you're paid directly by the carriers, do you contract that way too, or is it still thru a marketing agency? The squeaky wheel often gets the grease and I'd call each carrier's licensing department every day if I have to.

Even if you're paid directly by the carrier, you shouldn't lose the renewals though.

Currently, I'm not.

But, that's one of the things I'm wondering: if you're paid directly by the carriers, do you contract that way too, or is it still thru a marketing agency? The squeaky wheel often gets the grease and I'd call each carrier's licensing department every day if I have to.

Even if you're paid directly by the carrier, you shouldn't lose the renewals though.

I think most agents that have Medicare or FE are through an FMO and many are paid directly, thanks for the input.

I found when I moved to a new state getting lic switched over was scary and a lot of No info from state DOI, My wife made it number 1 priority and it was still near a month before I felt I can breath again knowing it was done.

But the carriers were easy. It was just the state DOI's none knowing which had to be done first the cancel or the new lic and they dont care

So, I'm pretty ignorant about the process. I'm with a large, independent brokerage who contracts with over 20 carriers. We have a couple dozen agents, and one girl who handles the licensing for all of us. They use different FMOs, IMOs, etc. to get deals with the various carriers. I don't think our agency is considered an FMO.

The girl who handles licensing has various contacts at the different carriers, and she assures me she's doing everything she can (following up, etc.) to get my contracting done ASAP. But now it's been almost 2 weeks, and I've only heard back from one carrier that said I'm good to go.

With different FMOs and other marketing agencies, who handles licensing? Do those organizations do it for you, or does the agent go direct and work with each carrier, even if they're not contracted directly by the carrier? I'm not even sure I'm asking this right. She says that if I try and "go around her" to contact the carriers directly that I'm likely to get different information than she is. I asked her about the "pre-appointment" state rule about MI, and she said that it depends on the carrier. Well, duh.

I just wondered what other independent agents do when it comes to the licensing process, and how it works.

This usually shouldn't take 2 weeks to get this done. Now, it really depends on how far down the line you are. If the girl in the office has to send this through another FMO, then they send it to the company, you're at the mercy of the other upline. Either way, it really shouldn't take this long.

It also sounds like you've assigned your commissions to your upline....tsk tsk! Not a good thing!

Back