Getting Started In Health Insurance

koriko88

Hi all,
I'm so glad to finally find this resource! There's a lot of stored knowledge and experience here.

I'm in northeast Florida and got my health insurance sales license a few months ago for Florida and 30 other states. I started out with med supp for a short time in telesales. Now I am looking to go independent but to be honest, I really do not know what my next step should be.

Presumably, the best thing would be to work as an agent for one company, until I get some solid experience, and then possibly look into being an independent broker.

I've heard good things about AFLAC, but my attempts to contact them have been unsuccessful. I sent two applications in but was never contacted, and then sent an email asking why I was never contacted. I got no reply to that, either. :twitchy:

Well, I'm admittedly ignorant (although I want to learn!) about the industry as a whole and really need some direction about what to do next. I'm comfortable with communicating in-person and over the phone, have excellent writing and technical skills, and do not mind travelling as long as it's profitable.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Getting Started in Health Insurance...

I would pursue med supps rather than health insurance. Commissions have been reduced but more importantly, the industry may not even exist in a few years.

Rick

Re: Getting Started in Health Insurance...

I agree. Health insurance commissions have been cut in half and you will most likely go bankrupt investing your time and money to make such a low ROI. You may want to also offer life insurance, critical illness plans, and accident plans. We are pulling out of the health insurance market in a couple of weeks.

What would be the best way to realistically get started selling a variety of things? I probably need some training on selling. To be honest, in my previous job, the computer did most of the needs assessment for med supps, so there wasn't a lot of brainpower involved. They also generated all of the leads via TV and internet advertising.

I'm assuming the best thing to do would be to approach a small local agency and gain experience. However, how do most agents at places like that generate leads? Do you buy them, are they given out on a partial commission basis, do you generate them yourself, etc?

Back