Getting Started in Insurance

KristinaJ

Hello, I am not sure if this is where I should have started this thread but I have some questions about getting started in insurance. I am an undergraduate in Business Administration at the University of Nevada, Reno. I still have a ways to go before graduation but I was wondering how I could get my foot in the door before hand. I have been thinking about this for awhile now, ever since I talked to an insurance agent about going into insurance. I was wondering what qualifications I need to get started, whether it be for a larger company or small. What kind of licensing is needed and what kind of degree is preferred. Is there any way I could get a part time job so I can get familiar with the business before graduation. I am sure it is different at every place but I am talking in general. This website seemed like a good place to get valuable information from people who would know first hand. Thank you for your time!:)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, not quite sure how to move it though.

Last edited:
First of all, you need to tell us what you want to sell? Health? Life, Auto? Home? Commercial? Do you want to sell Variable products as well?

Depending on your answer to all the above questions I just asked, it'll give us a better understanding of what you are looking for.

To sell Life and Health Insurance, you need to take a 52 hour insurance course and pass the state test. Same for auto and home insurance, take a 52 hour insurance course and pass the state test. You'll have to do both classes and take both tests if you want to sell the above insurances.

No degree is required to get your life/health or your P&C license. If you go apply for a large well known company, it'll be easier to get in the door but if you work for a small Mom or Pop agency, as long as you can get license and sell, they don't care if you have a college degree or not.

There are many ways you can approach this path: Go independent, go work for a local agent, or work for an insurance company as an agent.

Back