Getting Started in LTC insurance

dlvhi

Expert
Hello all

I am a new agent and looking for recommendations as to how to get a good overview of LTC insurance that will help me understand the process and product better.

With regard to life insurance, I found the Ben Baldwin book to be helpful to me in understanding the various products and options and am hoping there is a similar reference in long term care insurance.

I read the post from a couple of years back that recommended new agents read specimen policies from several companies. I think that is a good idea and actually had already started to gather that kind of material. However, I think I will understand the various contractual provisions better if I start with a better understanding of LTC insurance in general.

Also, I would really appreciate hearing any words of advice that members of this forum have for someone new to this field.

Thanks

One source I have found useful in learning about LTCI and selling it has been "Senior Market Advisor". It is a useful publication with a free subscription. However, I too would be interested in other useful references.

Hello xrac

Thanks so much for the response.

I have bookmarked the site you recommended and will be checking it regularly.

This board is pretty quiet, I get the sense that LTCi discussion may be more active elsewhere.

A couple of months back I thought I came across a pretty active board where agents were discussing LTCi, and the discussion was pretty active.
I may be mistaken, but I thought the board was visible to the general public but posting was limited to agents.

I may be wrong because I can't seem to find that site now.

If you or anyone else knows other sites where discussions like this occur, I would sure appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks

Dennis

This might sound crazy but you might want to look into the WebCE LTCi CE course...I think it's the 6 credit course. I found it helpful without having all of the product stuff. Then you can learn the products for whatever company(s) you offer and it will make better sense.
I'm not sure where you are but make sure you have the right CE done before selling. Here in MT we had to have an 8-credit CE course done by July 1 and partnership training. I went to the John Hancock course and found it interesting. Last summer I did the WebCE course to fullfill my CE requirement and as soon as I was done I got a letter from my State's ins commissioner that by July 1, 08 all agents selling LTCi need to take an 8 credit LTCi course.

Hello Danielle

Thanks for the info.

My state doesn't require a LTCi CE course but I am thinking about getting active in a couple of states that do, so may end up taking one of those courses.

As it turns out, I am appointed with New York/National Long Term Care Brokers and they have a series of webinars on LTCi, including product info. I ended up going through about 8 of their webinars and found them helpful - really, really helpful.

Ironic that what I was looking for was right under my nose. :biggrin:

Dennis

Latest posts

Back