Getting Started in Ohio. Help and Advice Needed!

5always

Expert
I am looking to get started in the insurance business in the Brunswick, OH area. I have spent the last 9 years working in the food industry and have been looking for the last year to get started in insurance. I enjoy working in a fast pace competitve environment and wanted to choose a sales career where the income I earned was not limited. I currently make $50k but the hours are not what I am looking for and I have hit an income ceiling for the most part. I currently work 55-65 hours a week and manage my own time so I do not have a problem putting in the hours.

I have been looking for small agencies to start with but have had no luck. The only companies interested in starting a newbie has been NYL, Western Southern, American Income and Bankers. I have talked with NYL and Western Southern and I am in the process of looking at Met Life and Northern Mutual.

My personal market consist of individuals with income of 35k or less so I am concerned with going with NYL but they seem to offer the best training.

I need to make about 45k to 50k and these places make it seem like it is no problem but I know that is not the case.

My question is:

1) What is the best company suited for my natural market?

2) What is the typical income of a 1st year agent?

3) What would I need to do to make 45k to 50k?

4) Is there any independent agencies?

5) What advice do you wish you had recieved when starting in the business?

I know this will be hard work and I have no problem. I have a goal and I just need to know what to do to attack that goal. I want to make this start now while I have no children. My goal is to make enough income so my wife can stay home in 3 to 4 years to raise our children. To make this happen I need to eventually make 80k. I am 27 years old as well.

Thanks in advance for the help and didn't mean to write a book.

I've got a friend who's been in the Ins Biz in Ohio for decades. I can also put you in touch with him if you want. Let me know and he can give you some pointers- he's in a small rural area, not sure about your locale.

I am looking to get started in the insurance business in the Brunswick, OH area. I have spent the last 9 years working in the food industry and have been looking for the last year to get started in insurance. I enjoy working in a fast pace competitve environment and wanted to choose a sales career where the income I earned was not limited. I currently make $50k but the hours are not what I am looking for and I have hit an income ceiling for the most part. I currently work 55-65 hours a week and manage my own time so I do not have a problem putting in the hours.

I have been looking for small agencies to start with but have had no luck. The only companies interested in starting a newbie has been NYL, Western Southern, American Income and Bankers. I have talked with NYL and Western Southern and I am in the process of looking at Met Life and Northern Mutual.

My personal market consist of individuals with income of 35k or less so I am concerned with going with NYL but they seem to offer the best training.

I need to make about 45k to 50k and these places make it seem like it is no problem but I know that is not the case.

My question is:

1) What is the best company suited for my natural market?

2) What is the typical income of a 1st year agent?

3) What would I need to do to make 45k to 50k?

4) Is there any independent agencies?

5) What advice do you wish you had recieved when starting in the business?

I know this will be hard work and I have no problem. I have a goal and I just need to know what to do to attack that goal. I want to make this start now while I have no children. My goal is to make enough income so my wife can stay home in 3 to 4 years to raise our children. To make this happen I need to eventually make 80k. I am 27 years old as well.

Thanks in advance for the help and didn't mean to write a book.

I do not know where the best place is for you to start but I think you will figure it out. My prediction is that you will succeed. You sound like you have a head on your shoulders and know how to work. Good luck.

GreenSky said:
If you fly out to California, I think I can find 15-20 minutes so we can talk.

Rick

Rick,

I will get right on that in the days of Skype I will fly down to my office and we can do that. Nice offer lol

Rick,

I will get right on that in the days of Skype I will fly down to my office and we can do that. Nice offer lol

To truly appreciate Rick, it must be in an in person experience.

I've never met him in person.

5always,

I have been with New York Life out of the Northern Ohio G.O. for the last 2 1/2 years now, the one I'm sure you have been interviewing with.

I am 24 years old and joined straight out of college with a very small natural market. I interviewed and considered many of the same companies and offices you are looking into before choosing NYL. I'd be happy to give you an agent's perspective of the company and this particular office if you'd like. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

Wes Morgan

Alright guru's come alive and pass the advice.

Anyone do NYL or Western Southern in Ohio?

Alright guru's come alive and pass the advice.

Anyone do NYL or Western Southern in Ohio?

Look at AGLA and Metlife also. They both pay a salary up front for the first 19 weeks are so.

Last edited:
Back