Getting Started in the Insurance industry

I hear a lot of good things about Farm Bureau. But they are picky on who they hire. Which I understand.

There is quit an abundance of helpful information on this site. I appreciate all the posts, as I'm considering a change of careers into the Insurance industry. My concern is I'm a "newbe" and don't know the industry yet. I'm learning bits through researching the internet. I want to make an informed decision before I pay for my license and commit to the process.

I'm being "recruited" by a GA. branch of Bankers Life and Casualty. I know their requirements are low and I'm not "special" yet I'm curious if any of you professionals have feedback on the company. I'd love to hear all concerns or problems that have arisen from agents who've experienced being a "captive agent" with Bankers.

Captive life was horrible for me. Go independent with a good mga. I work with one now that has me writing about 10-15 deals a week. If you want a hand send me an email.

Hello,

I have started the adventure of becoming an insurance agent! I have passed all my online life health and annuities test and did the required 40 hours online... blah. I am in Florida so there are some "extra" things required to get your license. I have also started my property and casualty and I am about half way through that. I really am starting to get concerned... I am not retaining all of the prop and cas there is sooooo much to learn and I am already signed up to set for the state in 2 weeks. Please tell me what I should set my focus on and make sure I retain so that I am able to pass this test.

Thanks,

Barrett Henry

Hello,

I have started the adventure of becoming an insurance agent! I have passed all my online life health and annuities test and did the required 40 hours online... blah. I am in Florida so there are some "extra" things required to get your license. I have also started my property and casualty and I am about half way through that. I really am starting to get concerned... I am not retaining all of the prop and cas there is sooooo much to learn and I am already signed up to set for the state in 2 weeks. Please tell me what I should set my focus on and make sure I retain so that I am able to pass this test.

Thanks,

Barrett Henry

Keep studying on the parts you don't understand or retain is my advice. Two weeks is plenty of time to prepare.

Good Morning all. I have just joined and am reading the wonderful questions and answers about several different insurance companies relating to the pros and cons. I am at army vet with a wife that's an agent working for an independent insurance agency. Because of my exiting the military and relocation, we would like to start an agency in the North Carolina area and like many I see here, are at the decision point of Allstate, State Farm or Independent. I would like some feedback from those that had those questions months ago and have moved forward with their decision and would like some feedback on satisfactiion or not with the company they chose. I would also like to ask if anyone with an independent agnecy can offer solid advice on getting started and the use of an MGA. Thanking you in advance.

Good Morning all. I have just joined and am reading the wonderful questions and answers about several different insurance companies relating to the pros and cons. I am at army vet with a wife that's an agent working for an independent insurance agency. Because of my exiting the military and relocation, we would like to start an agency in the North Carolina area and like many I see here, are at the decision point of Allstate, State Farm or Independent. I would like some feedback from those that had those questions months ago and have moved forward with their decision and would like some feedback on satisfactiion or not with the company they chose. I would also like to ask if anyone with an independent agnecy can offer solid advice on getting started and the use of an MGA. Thanking you in advance.

I've been working captive with Aflac. It has not been the greatest experience! It seems I've put out more money than I've taken in due to running around to different areas since I live in a small town. One of the biggest problems that I have found with Aflac is that people have Aflac agents coming into their businesses weekly & asking for appointments. Business owners get tired of hearing the same thing from several agents each week or month. I got into trouble because I wasn't making enough appointments!! :swoon:

I've been working captive with Aflac. It has not been the greatest experience! It seems I've put out more money than I've taken in due to running around to different areas since I live in a small town. One of the biggest problems that I have found with Aflac is that people have Aflac agents coming into their businesses weekly & asking for appointments. Business owners get tired of hearing the same thing from several agents each week or month. I got into trouble because I wasn't making enough appointments!! :swoon:

Surprise, surprise! Isn't that what all the threads about AFLAC say. But just think you do have a laptop???? Right??? :no::embarrassed:

Last edited:
Another option to consider is contacting a local insurance licensing school and speaking with a sales manager. Most sales managers reach out to agency owners / managers / recruiters from many different companies and have a great idea of who's hiring. I do this personally and often refer individuals to new opportunities in my area. Good luck!

Back