Getting Started in the Insurance industry

Hello everyone, I first want to start off by saying that this forum is amazing with all of the collective information shared here and thank you to all who have contributed. I am looking at getting into insurance, still undecided as to which particular type but I am leaning towards Life and Health.

Here is my situation; I would greatly appreciate any advice or feedback. I am currently in mortgage (own a branch, which I will be closing) and need to "hit the ground running" due to low funds. I can get by with a low income for the first few months, but would like to make at least 50K my first year. I realize this all depends on me, but I'm looking for advice as to what insurance would alot me the highest probability of doing so.

I have interviewed with MetLife, but I don't know if I will take the position. I want to go independent, but desire good training because I want to have a good foundation.
So I have a few questions.

1. Are there any good independent insurance agencies that offer good training to a newbie? I am near Kansas City.

2. Would you recommend going independent for someone who needs to make 2-3k starting by their second month?

3. How would one go about finding these companies?

4. Is Life and Health a good choice to try and make a good living through hard work on your first year?

5. Anyone know about the market in Kansas/Missouri for L&H?

Thank you guys for reading my post and any information.

contact me at [email protected] Il take what ever time you need to cover this information spend 9 years in kansas and loved it!!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Good Morning all. I have just joined and am reading the wonderful questions and answers about several different insurance companies relating to the pros and cons. I am at army vet with a wife that's an agent working for an independent insurance agency. Because of my exiting the military and relocation, we would like to start an agency in the North Carolina area and like many I see here, are at the decision point of Allstate, State Farm or Independent. I would like some feedback from those that had those questions months ago and have moved forward with their decision and would like some feedback on satisfactiion or not with the company they chose. I would also like to ask if anyone with an independent agnecy can offer solid advice on getting started and the use of an MGA. Thanking you in advance.

I am also retired military and would be glad to discuss my transition from the military, to captive to an independant agent. most of the companies and MGA's want followers and will demand you do as I say....not as i do. in many instances its a leaderless field. they were simply promoted because they could sell, but can not train, coach or mentor...many, but not all contact me at [email protected]
Good Morning all. I have just joined and am reading the wonderful questions and answers about several different insurance companies relating to the pros and cons. I am at army vet with a wife that's an agent working for an independent insurance agency. Because of my exiting the military and relocation, we would like to start an agency in the North Carolina area and like many I see here, are at the decision point of Allstate, State Farm or Independent. I would like some feedback from those that had those questions months ago and have moved forward with their decision and would like some feedback on satisfactiion or not with the company they chose. I would also like to ask if anyone with an independent agnecy can offer solid advice on getting started and the use of an MGA. Thanking you in advance.

I am also retired military and would be glad to discuss my transition from the military, to captive to an independant agent. most of the companies and MGA's want followers and will demand you do as I say....not as i do. in many instances its a leaderless field. they were simply promoted because they could sell, but can not train, coach or mentor...many, but not all contact me at [email protected]
I've been working captive with Aflac. It has not been the greatest experience! It seems I've put out more money than I've taken in due to running around to different areas since I live in a small town. One of the biggest problems that I have found with Aflac is that people have Aflac agents coming into their businesses weekly & asking for appointments. Business owners get tired of hearing the same thing from several agents each week or month. I got into trouble because I wasn't making enough appointments!! :swoon:

sorry you had to hear another...not so funny comment about the laptop....contact me at [email protected] and i can review some things that may assist you

Last edited:
Hello,

I have started the adventure of becoming an insurance agent! I have passed all my online life health and annuities test and did the required 40 hours online... blah. I am in Florida so there are some "extra" things required to get your license. I have also started my property and casualty and I am about half way through that. I really am starting to get concerned... I am not retaining all of the prop and cas there is sooooo much to learn and I am already signed up to set for the state in 2 weeks. Please tell me what I should set my focus on and make sure I retain so that I am able to pass this test.

Thanks,

Barrett Henry

* contact my friend dean at www.license2go.com they will even pay for a 2nd and 3rd test if needed super guys contact me at [email protected] if you need anything else

We can have you running in less than a month with all the carriers, E&O ($199 per Year), Rater, and an Agency Management System.

Plus the ability to do taxes.

Please visit FiestaInsurance(dot)com for additional information.

Should you have any questions please contact us.

Carlos Gil
Sales & Marketing Manager
16162 Beach Blvd Suite 100
Huntington Beach, Ca 92647
(714) 842-5420 Ext 237
(714) 842-5401 Fax
(714) 916-1758 Cell
E-mail: E-mail: [email protected]
We can have you running in less than a month with all the carriers, E&O ($199 per Year), Rater, and an Agency Management System.

Plus the ability to do taxes.

Please visit FiestaFranchise(dot)com for additional information.

Should you have any questions please contact us.

Carlos Gil
Sales & Marketing Manager
16162 Beach Blvd Suite 100
Huntington Beach, Ca 92647
(714) 842-5420 Ext 237
(714) 842-5401 Fax
(714) 916-1758 Cell
E-mail: E-mail: [email protected]

Last edited:
If you're thinking of becoming a new life and health agent in California, Great American Senior Benefits just expanded there. Search careerbuilder for Great American Senior Benefits to get the latest.

Quick Question- I am in the process of filing a personal bankruptcy due to a divorce, how will this effect becoming an Independent Agent? will I be able to get appointed or contracted to sell products?

Quick Question- I am in the process of filing a personal bankruptcy due to a divorce, how will this effect becoming an Independent Agent? will I be able to get appointed or contracted to sell products?

Yes.

You will need to have a your "reason" down, As all the companies will ask. Advance will be a little harder but not impossible. I would try to get my contracting done before the BK, if you are licensed. Work with a good GA that will get you a good core group of companies. I would not shot gun out my contracting. Easier to get advanced if you have the bulk of your production in just a few companies. Once up and running really try to move back to as earned for at least half the companies. There will be slumps.

Get a free credit report so you know what is on there.

You will by no means be the only agent with a BK.

Good Luck,
Lee

Hello everybody....I'm just getting started in insurance....spent 2 days trying to sell med supplements off the lead cards I ordered for $405. Have now wasted a lot of gas and time knocking on those doors......Guess it's time to try Frank Stastnys way??

Any advise for a possible newbie to this business from Reading, PA? I have been successful selling computer technology solutions, and until recently real estate. I am considering a switch to insurance sales. It seems working with an independant agency is the way to go, right? Can you get the training online?

Back