Getting Started--several Newbie Questions

MarketingGuru

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, reading tons of threads and I think this site is amazing. Now, I think I'm ready to post with some questions! :)

I'm a full-time freelance writer (marketing copy such as email campaigns, website content, brochures, direct mail, etc.). I've had great success as a writer, but I've been doing it for quite a while and I'd like to branch out into something new: life insurance. My dad has had a great career as an independent life agent and has found it to be a fulfilling and rewarding.

I know that it's not easy to get started in the insurance business or to succeed in it. I know that it's not for everyone. It might not even be right for me. But I think it's worth a try, because truthfully, I'm inspired by the products and by the idea of helping people to choose products that will be of benefit to their families. I like that in this industry, an agent can be 100% honest and be successful--integrity is very important to me (in fact, I am extremely choosy about which marketing projects I accept for that very reason--I won't help someone sell a shady product or service).

Anyway, I'm in the process of studying for the life and health exam (I am mostly interested in selling life insurance and disability income) and will be applying for my license next week. I have billions of questions, so I wanted to introduce myself and create a thread where I can (hopefully) get some advice from all you pros. :)

1. I'm only interested in working as an independent agent. Companies that interest me most (after my preliminary research here and online) are Ohio National, Mass Mutual and Penn Mutual. What are the odds that I could get my own contracts with those (or other) companies without working under someone else first? Do you have any feedback on those companies? Can you recommend any similar companies that I might try?
2. Once I'm licensed (assuming I have a contract, of course), can you recommend a few first steps toward getting started? I feel a little overwhelmed. I'm planning to have a website created, and I have oodles of marketing experience, but I'm not sure how to get going. Cold calling? Email blasts? Any advice would be appreciated.
3. My husband's life policy needs to be renewed soon. We just purchased it last year. Can I do a new policy for him (I know he'd have to go through underwriting again, but he is in good shape and got preferred status last year), but I'm thinking that this way, I would be able to get the commission for our policy and renewals.

I know I have more questions, but that's good for now I think. Thank you in advance for your advice! :)

Back