Getting Started - STUDYING THE BOOK?

I see a lot on here are already agents and looking for advice; I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get in your shoes quickly.

I am still in the process of studying for the Virginia Life & Health license. I am doing it myself without taking any classes because I work two jobs at the moment and I am finding myself having trouble retaining what I'm reading due to the fact that I'm not studying regularly.

I'm not a dummy but it has been a while since I went to school and had to study for anything, especially something like this.

Do any of you or did any of you, come up with any unique ways of studying for this exam? I am only on chapter 3 of the life section so I'm still finding the information somewhat overwhelming. I hope over time the information will start to become redundant and I'll find it easier to knockout.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or words of encouragement!

If you are finding the information overwhelming, I would strongly suggest you consider taking an online course like License to Go. The section quizzes and practice tests will help you get through it a lot better.

A book is a great resource to fall back on, but the test is tough. You will not have the book to look over when you take your test. I think a course will better prepare you for passing the test, as well as giving you knowledge when you are out in the field.

How much do the classes effect your ability to pass the exam?

Are the classes something you take after you've studied or are they there to teach you everything you need to know?

And as for as the license to go, I tried to look it up but had trouble finding the sight. Is something like that acceptable nationwide?

I am trying to get my license quickly but I am just having trouble with time right now.

And as for as the license to go, I tried to look it up but had trouble finding the sight. Is something like that acceptable nationwide?

Home

I believe it is nationwide. They will basically prepare you for the test. You will have a good knowledge of most of the products and regulations that are pretty much standard nationally. And they will give you a section on state specific regulations that will also be included on the test.

For me an online test was the way to go. A classroom presentation would have been tough to stay awake through. The state required you to take a course. So learning on a book alone was not an option.

It will not teach you things about how to sell, but it will give you a basic understanding of the products. It is strictly a test prep course. But if you complete the course, and pass the practice tests without referring to your course materials, I think you will have little trouble passing the exam.

I used examfx.com

I read the book as I took the practice tests. Looked up the answers for questions I did not know until I knew all the answers, or at least enough of them.

I studied at the most 3 days per test, 5 hours a day, and then went and tested. Passed the life & health, Prop & casualty, 6, 63 & 65 doing it this way with no classes and no insurance experience.

To pass the tests you have to prepare, but you also have to read the questions carefully. Don't over think or study the material, the real education comes when you start doing it and having to research every question you get asked and every nuance of whatever product you are selling.

Study a few days by taking the practice tests over and over and then go take the test. The worst result is you have to retest, but you also now have an insight into the test. Laws and Ethics are big parts of the tests.

...or you can study a half hour every night for the next 6 months, memorize the book and still have to take it a second time.

I'm currently studying for my Iowa L&H and take my test Saturday. Been studying for a couple of weeks. It's been about 6 years since college so it took a few days to just get used to studying again.

I purchased the online study guide on bkl.examfx.com. Test + study material cost me a little over $200.

The way I've been studying is by reading the chapter straight through. Then go back and take notes and try and mentally picture what is being said along with highlighting what I think the key terms to know are. Then, after I'm done with my notetaking I go onto the website and take a 15 question end of chapter quiz to see just how much I've learned.

I'm almost done studying and my last couple of days before the test I'm going to just brush up on EVERYTHING to make sure it's all still fresh in my mind.

A practice test CD or online practice test is so much easier. I am old, my brain has hardened, and my attention span is really short. I could never read a chapter and pass a test. I have neither the patience or the capacity to study that way.

Study to pass the test, not to learn the material. That occurs regardless, so take the easy road.

Thanks for the advice guys and gals!

I did get a practice exam on cd with the book but have yet to even break it out. I guess I need to just sit down and keep taking it and studying with it until I can answer the majority of the questions, that way I'll be learning how to take the test while retaining the information.

All I want to do is get through the studying and cramming part of the process, get my license, and then get to it. :biggrin:

I did pretty much what everyone else has done. Basically read the book once. After finishing each chapter I took the chapter exam. After completing all of that I took the comprehensive test for life and then health about a bazillion times (at least that is what it felt like). The I took the combined comprehensive. Took about 2 weeks, with the last 5 days doing nothing but taking the test over and over. I got to the point where I didn't know if I was learning the material or learning the test. Then to St. Louis for the exam, which took about 1.5 hours.

One thing that I received from this forum in my search about exams is RTFQ squared (Read the F#$%ing Question twice) if not more. The exam I took had questions that seemed to be trick, but it was the way the question was asked. Most questions had 2 answers you could throw away and 1 that was close and 1 was correct.

Good Luck.

I purchased a set of cassette tapes, I believe their was 10 tapes in the set, and i just listened to them for a week or so and went and took the test, and passed it the first time, no problem. Over that week ,I must have listened to them 12 or 15 times, and went through 8 or 10 AA batteries. Any one remember the sony walkman cassette player?

Back