GI Individual Health Policy Help Needed

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
Hi guys,

My wife has a GI policy that was issued after her COBRA policy expired last year.

It's a Golden Rule policy. I want to say the deductible is $5000; could be more, could be less.

She's 27, lives in TN, and we pay $350 per month for this policy.

She has had a pacemaker since 11 years old (on her 3rd one now).

Naturally, I'm interested in saving money, if I'm even able to switch policies now, as she's outside that 63-day grace period.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

-Dave

In 2 more years she can get any policy she wants.

Paying the premium may be a challenge.

Until then she keeps what she has. Pacemakers are auto decline.

Thanks guys for the input.

Mr. Somarco -- are you referencing federal legislation regarding pre-existing coverage passed several years ago? Or is there current law mandating those on GI coverage can convert to regular, individual coverage?

Thanks,
Dave

In 2 more years she can get any policy she wants.

Paying the premium may be a challenge.

Until then she keeps what she has. Pacemakers are auto decline.

Current HIPAA laws have been in place for years regarding options following COBRA. Based on your post, it appears she has been through that process so that is where she will stay until 2014.

In 2014 HIPAA plans, COBRA, risk pools, etc will all go away and you will buy a govt designed plan from the govt.

The fix is in, but DC has grossly underestimated final premiums for GI with community rating.

They think premiums will only rise by 15% or so.

My money is on 2x or more.

Similar problem as Dave's. Wife comes off cobra 1st of August.. Will not be covered by medicare until 1st November.. Is there any GI available that will cover preex or do we just have to sweat it out for the 3 months?

Back