GI situation for Employer Retiree coverage going into private Med Supp

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
Retiree remains on EGC for several years after retirement. During an Open Enrollment Period, the retiree chooses to go into a GI Med Supplement. Does it matter that the termination of EGC is VOLUNTARY or INVOLUNTARY?

Retiree remains on EGC for several years after retirement. During an Open Enrollment Period, the retiree chooses to go into a GI Med Supplement. Does it matter that the termination of EGC is VOLUNTARY or INVOLUNTARY?

Yes it matters. It’s state by state. Some states have the GI option whether or not you end the employer coverage through your own choice or “no fault of your own.”

I’m not sure which way Texas goes. You should talk with the DOI in Texas to get the right answer. Or call MOO or any real experienced Med a Sup company. They can tell you for sure.

As you have seen asking that question on forums or Facebook or random agents will get you a lot of different answers. Some of them will actually be correct. I mainly sell in only two states and have been doing it for a couple of decades. And I still get confused of which of my states offer is guaranteed issue to anyone who chooses to leave their group plan and which one only gives guaranteed issue when you lose the group plan through no choice of your own. So I have to look at my notes to even keep myself straight.

Yes it matters. It’s state by state. Some states have the GI option whether or not you end the employer coverage through your own choice or “no fault of your own.”

I’m not sure which way Texas goes. You should talk with the DOI in Texas to get the right answer. Or call MOO or any real experienced Med a Sup company. They can tell you for sure.

As you have seen asking that question on forums or Facebook or random agents will get you a lot of different answers. Some of them will actually be correct. I mainly sell in only two states and have been doing it for a couple of decades. And I still get confused of which of my states offer is guaranteed issue to anyone who chooses to leave their group plan and which one only gives guaranteed issue when you lose the group plan through no choice of your own. So I have to look at my notes to even keep myself straight.

I googled Texas Dept of Insurance GI Med supp. Apparently, Texas is a state that recognizes INVOLUNTARY or VOLUNTARY. My buddy in Ariz says that Ariz is ONLY involuntary. I never knew about these distinctions.

Back