GI situation for Employer Retiree coverage going into private Med Supp

I googled Texas Dept of Insurance GI Med supp. Apparently, Texas is a state that recognizes INVOLUNTARY or VOLUNTARY. My buddy in Ariz says that Ariz is ONLY involuntary. I never knew about these distinctions.

Same with smoking status for GI’s and new to Medicare. In some states everyone gets non-smoker rate. In others, smokers get tobacco rate. You have to learn these details for the states that you are selling in.

Same with smoking status for GI’s and new to Medicare. In some states everyone gets non-smoker rate. In others, smokers get tobacco rate. You have to learn these details for the states that you are selling in.
For those that have never opened an UW Guide, where can you find that information? :goofy::huh:

What is underwriting? And what are you under?
Origin story: Well, kids, there was this coffeehouse in London, see, about 300 years ago, called Lloyd's. When ship owners wanted to find prosperous gentlemen to share cargo and ship loss risks, they documented the share of the risk each took by each gent writing their names on a contract "under" the name of the ship at risk. So, they were underwriters at Lloyd's. Bonus nugget: they are still personally at risk in the contractual arrangements to "invest" in risk through Lloyd's today. I got a tour of Lloyd's on a London visit, really fun. They ring a bell still, if a ship goes down, and they have a system tracking all cargo ships at sea.

This is from MOO UW Guidelines

Guaranteed Issue Rights for Voluntary Termination of Group Health Plan
State Qualifies for Guaranteed Issue...
AK, CO, ID, IL, IN, LA, ME, MT, NJ, NV, OH, PA, TX, VT, WI
If the employer sponsored plan is primary to Medicare.

Back