Goal Setting!

joshril

Guru
1000 Post Club
The week before last I didn't sell much... just a few small STM policies. I started thinking about how damn easy this business is.... if I just work!

Last week, I decided to put all my daily, weekly, monthly, etc. goals in writing and I posted them in my office. I also would like a purchase a particular sports car this year and posted a picture of that in my office as well! It's amazing how much your mind can interfer with your business and honestly just sheer laziness and lack of set goals!

Most of you already do this, I'm sure, but I always thought putting the goals on paper was stupid! I know what my goals are, why waste the time!? It has motivated me 200%! I had a phenomenal week and I attest it to striving to meet those goals, and keeping myself accountable to what I should be doing. PokerStars and Myspace are not allowed in my office anymore unless I have met my goals for the day...

I have also implemented a daily worksheet I have been completing to help me stay on track!

I hope this post motivates someone!

I have never really subscribed to the concept of "setting goals". From what I have seen all it does is make people who have "met their goal" take some time off.

My "goal" is to get up in the morning, not the crack of noon, and work my butt off all day just as if I was punching a time clock. I know what needs to be done and what it takes to do it. I also know if I'm really busting my butt or just pretending to. (Like doing "research" on this board instead of calling prospects and going on appointments. Been there done that.)

If you are doing your absolute best every day, working smartand are well organized then there shouldn't be a need for "goals".

Now, that is what works for me and those are my personal feelings. I'm not advocating that anyone else work that way.

When I did set "goals" some weeks I would have them met by Tuesday, got real lucky. Other weeks when I really busted my butt it seemed that I couldn't give the stuff away. Some months I tripled my "goal" other months I fell behind by at least half a month. It is the nature of this business, high peeks and low valleys. However, at the end of the year I have made a lot of money.

Not directed to anyone, but if an individual is not motivated all the "goals" in the world are not going to make one wealthy, rich or even comfortable.

I love playing poker on line! Let's all get a table. :D

HOw does that help you? Writing stuff down? I feel ya on the poker sites, I need to quit doing that too.

I am basically treating myself like an employee.. I have made lists to keep myself accountable for the number of calls, contacts, etc. that I want to produce. I am very guilty of hitting my goal of money I want to make for the week and slacking off because I can. Not only have a made a list of the things I want to accomplish each day, week, etc... but the material things I want to own based upon my efforts.. It gives me something more tangible than money. Something to strive for. If you want a Corvette by the end of the year, put a picture of a Corvette up in your office. I think it also helps when you've had some bad luck on the phone or something. Look up and visualize driving your new Vette with a brunette on one arm and a blonde on the other.... it's motivating! To each his own, but this has been working for me...

We should all definitely get a poker table going... up $350 last week.. lost $125 last night... I'm on Tilt! Damn those pocket aces!

Last edited:
I think it also helps when you've had some bad luck on the phone or something. Look up and visualize driving your new Vette with a brunette on one arm and a blonde on the other....

If you are driving from the drivers seat, and you have a blonde on one arm and a brunette on the other, which one is running along side the drivers door? :D

The winners tell jokes and the losers say "shut up and deal"! So, hurry up and deal!

I used to work for a company who use to set up goals based on weekly sales production. I was so stressed out each week running around trying to hit their numbers and keep my job that is was effecting my health. A associate of mine colasped with a heart attack duing the morning meeting.
After I left that company I started setting my goals based on daily behaviors , things I could controll like the number of callsI make each day. This method of goal setting is less stressfull and more productive for me.

I forgot who said it, but it went something like

Show me a stock boy with goals and I will show you a successful business man. Show me a business man with no goals and I will show you a successful stock boy.

To each their own on this topic. I write monthly goals and have them on my monthly tracking spreadsheet. That way I can see where I am for the month when I sell a policy. But my new goals is to make enough money for the wife to stay home. That is an additional $40K I need to pull in.

Anyone need some crack?

10 policies a week, that's all I ask.... and yes, that's my goal. Of course, it includes P&C policies, where the number is higher, the pay is less :)

Seriously, having goals for most people help keep the focus on what is important to you. Sitting on the couch can be a goal, but you have to think it through, lets see now. Electric bill, gotta sell a policy to pay that. Rent, oops, several more policies. Need a new couch, 2 more good policies. Of course, I skip all of this by skipping American Idol :)

Seriously, some people live to produce, some people produce to live. Goals help you figure out what your priorities are, and help you achieve the balance. Writing them down helps you from mentally changing them. It works for me. I even pick up my business plan every once in a while and realize, hmmm, I gotta get back on track!!!!

Of course, nowhere does my business plan include 10 forum posts a week. I guess I should finish up those policies for this week.......

Dan

Back