Going Independent - Computer / Phone / CRM / General Advice

LMGInsurance

Hello! I am going independent! This is very exciting for me! I have been selling health insurance (from limited benefit plans to short term medical to accident plans to critical illness to Obamacare under United Healthcare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna/Coventry as well as dental and vision) since 2009 under various different agencies. I have experience on the sales floor as well as the customer service and verification departments. I'm setting up shop in my home. What computer should I purchase for my business? I noticed all the agencies I have worked for have all used Dell desktops. Is this suitable? I plan to use my cellphone as my business phone. My company will consist of mostly phone sales as this is what I have my experience in and have been successful at. Will starting with a cellphone be okay? Or should I invest immediately in VOIP? Also, is it okay to start without a dialer? I have used numerous dialers during my six years of working with agencies. And, what CRM do you recommend also? My start-up budget is modest. I have my appointments with the carriers. I'm using two leads companies and I will also drum up business through social media as well as good old fashion networking. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend a windows-based computer.

For a CRM, if you need to store documents, just use Act. If not, you can pick up YIO from Greensky for a $100 unlock key.

As long as your cell phone has good reception in your area, it'll be fine.

I've been using a cell phone for 3 years. Not quite as flexible as a landline when it comes time to expand, but I recently signed up for freedomvoice which costs next to nothing but gets me a toll free number and an automated attendant. I set up a couple of extensions to come straight to me and the rest go to carrier service centers.

There's nothing all that special about dell, maybe whatever association they have been affiliated with for them deals on Dell. I would avoid Toshiba though.
Sorry I can't make any good suggestions on software, but I'm in p&c. I'm sure plenty of good suggestions will follow.

You've got some exciting times ahead. Good luck!

I like ring central for phone and fax

----------

Besides the 800 number you can get from ring central helps too

I also like office runner for head set.

Honestly, I feel better not hearing " Are you on a cell phonnne?? " from prospects.

Good phone and head set makes you sound more professional and gives you more confidence = more sales

I would use All-in-one windows PC it saves space and less connections
software Quick-books Customer manager got it for $49 6 years ago and still work
Land-line sounds more professional; VOIP has background echo at least the ones I used as they use the web; headset makes you mobile and free your hands for other stuff hopefully productive one haha Good luck; Coffee maker will help also.

Use RingCentral for your phone/fax usage.

I would recommend Zoho CRM - Free Version, which includes a smartphone app for $3.

RingCentral and Zoho CRM with the smartphone capabilities would run roughly $25 a month.

My two cents worth.

Hello! I am going independent! This is very exciting for me! I have been selling health insurance (from limited benefit plans to short term medical to accident plans to critical illness to Obamacare under United Healthcare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna/Coventry as well as dental and vision) since 2009 under various different agencies. I have experience on the sales floor as well as the customer service and verification departments. I'm setting up shop in my home. What computer should I purchase for my business? I noticed all the agencies I have worked for have all used Dell desktops. Is this suitable? I plan to use my cellphone as my business phone. My company will consist of mostly phone sales as this is what I have my experience in and have been successful at. Will starting with a cellphone be okay? Or should I invest immediately in VOIP? Also, is it okay to start without a dialer? I have used numerous dialers during my six years of working with agencies. And, what CRM do you recommend also? My start-up budget is modest. I have my appointments with the carriers. I'm using two leads companies and I will also drum up business through social media as well as good old fashion networking. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!
Yep- I use a Dell desktop (special ordered Windows 7) and have a backup laptop for the house. Ring Central all the way!
I am mainly a P&C guy so I don't know the best CRM for you.

Good luck on your new venture. Depending on how many leads you expect to receive, I recommend a softphone and predictive dialer. No reason to dial for dollars when a dialer can do that for you. Also, you it doesn't matter what operating system you use, just make sure you have a good processor. A good processor for what your doing should be at least an i5 Intel with 8gb of ram. Also ssd is faster than hdd. Look on ebay or dell refurbished website. Also always have good dell sales on slickdeals.com

Latest posts

Back