going off group plan question

keith365

Super Genius
I'm working with a couple. He's 59. She's 66. They are both on group health insurance through his employer. He retired in March of 2019, and they will be able to keep their health insurance, which is excellent coverage, until May of 2020.
I don't know if she has part A yet. I know she doesn't have part B. I didn't think it mattered if she had part A, but I heard that if she already has part A, then she has 60 days to enroll into Medicare part B, once her group plan ends in May of 2020. So, she could enroll into part B and either a supp or mapd to begin on May 1? Even though they have group coverage that is NOT based on current employment, and his employment ended in March of 2019?
I thought I had this figured out, but I'm still lost. Any help is appreciated!

Prior to March, the wife didn't need Part A & B because the husband was work. Therefore, Medicare secondary.
After March, husband retired. Therefore, Medicare now primary on wife.
Wife has 8 month window to enroll in Part A & B of Medicare.

And if she was on his employer plan there should be a cost savings to them by removing her from the plan into Medicare. Check the numbers and don't remove her until the Medicare plan is in place. could make you look like a hero

Update: This is Cobra coverage that she has. I'm reading that
"COBRA is always secondary to Medicare. This means that it only pays after
Medicare pays. If you do not enroll in Medicare when you become eligible for it, it will be as if you have no insurance."
Does this mean that even though she has cobra, she must sign up for Medicare asap, because without Medicare, Cobra won't pay anything? She's 66. I understand that usually this decision is easy because cobra is so expensive, but the premium for cobra is being paid 100% by her husbands previous employer.

You've had the right answer 3 times in regard to Cobra and Medicare. You can find a Medicare.gov or CMS document to support that if you need it.

Also note, that if the Cobra coverage is broken out for premiums for Health, Dental and Vision coverage, she CAN keep the Cobra Dental and the Cobra Vision coverages. (At least that was the case for me when I was on Medicare and my wife's cobra plan.)

Does this mean that even though she has cobra, she must sign up for Medicare asap, because without Medicare, Cobra won't pay anything?

yes

She's 66. I understand that usually this decision is easy because cobra is so expensive, but the premium for cobra is being paid 100% by her husbands previous employer.

she can stay on the retiree group coverage
There is no sale to be made here at this time. Give them the free advise and move on.

Last edited:
Back