Going through a rough patch

Not what I said at all. If you have the available funds and don't mind spending your own savings then as-earned is not an issue at all.

Again, most agents do not have the required savings. If they do - great.

Amazing, I make one little comment about being happy that I’m as earned and the board exploded about the pros and cons of advanced vs. as earned so I feel compelled to comment and share my thoughts.

Getting an advance from the carrier vs advanced from some MGA is a mighty big difference, as I will attempt to explain.

In my view advanced agents thru MGA’S make decisions that protect their pocket books and what is in the agents best interest, not the clients best interest. This is not all the times, but most times… Here’s why. When the MGA or marketing agency is advancing the money you are completely in bed with that company and the carriers he reps. If he only has companies like World, Fidelity Security and lets say Assurant and he provides leads you have only one choice but to only write his products. The client in this case doesn’t get the option to see the other carriers like Aetna, UHC or Unicare just to name a few. Most times the advancing agency “leans” on the agent via threatening to terminate leads if he writs for other carriers under the MGA’S nose. These advancing agencies most times offer trips as incentives to these “captive” agents. In the event, for whatever reason you choose to leave the agency you also have just left your block of business in his file cabinet for him to hand off to another agent in his pond and “boom” debit balance created and vector hit a commin’. That is not your business… period… I don’t care what you say or think… it happens, advancing MGA’S are all crooks thieves and liars.

Since the above referenced agent is most times living pay check to pay check he falls into desperation mode and runs out when he leaves and flips the client even when it is not in the clients best interest. This agent is in a pickle when rate increases happen cause most times the agency wont pay new commissions and will terminate the contract if the agent rolls the biz when the client needs to be rolled.
So…. Bottom line, getting advanced via advancing agencies like UBA, NASE, UA, Medical Benefit Group and others is just flat wrong and can be painful to your future.
Also don’t forget the assignment of commissions feature that so many advancing agencies require… that is the total kiss of death. And the massive interest that the agencies charge.

OK… now, the 2nd route, Advanced by the carrier…. First off if they charge interest, forget about it… Also, can you control having a client cancel? Loosing their company, taking a job somewhere, getting pissed off at the world…. Wife getting a job and going on that coverage, resencion of policy for fraud cause a client lied on the app… heck, just make up any number of stories…. You have a chance of loosing the client and it just ain’t worth the risk.

Ok, why now in my view do people endorse advancing…. Well, your new and have no other choice… I understand, I was there at one time… but when I broke out it was bye-bye advances….. I busted out at about 8500 bucks a month and now sit on about twice that, my income is predicted and I don’t have to worry, client wants to cancel, fine, I will just write 2 to replace it.

Another reason that people on this board support advancing and push it harder than Bush pushed the war in Iraq is because they have a vested interest in getting non self supporting agents. They sell training to the agents in an effort to pad their pocket books. Without the new struggling agents they could not market their self declared wisdom. Nothing wrong with that I just don’t like it…. Doesn’t mean I don’t like the people as individuals, I do, I just have a different approach and feel I have every right to call them out much in the same right as they have to promote their services.
Boys, you MUST go earned and if you can’t do it right NOW, then you need a plan in place to get there within 2 years. This is the only way to achieve financial freedom and truly protect you clients best interest… when you do that, you will rarely have a client leave you.

Last edited:
I'm announcing that as of today the IHIAA has two new affiliates:

Papa John's
Domino's

The 95% of of all new agents who do not have the required funds to start as-earned now through association membership will be 1st in line to deliver pizzas.

I'm also working on other affiliations including:

Holding road signs
Digging ditches
Cleaning up construction sites
Waitering

Amazing, I make one little comment about being happy that I’m as earned and the board exploded about the pros and cons of advanced vs. as earned so I feel compelled to comment and share my thoughts.

Getting an advance from the carrier vs advanced from some MGA is a mighty big difference, as I will attempt to explain.

In my view advanced agents thru MGA’S make decisions that protect their pocket books and what is in the agents best interest, not the clients best interest. This is not all the times, but most times… Here’s why. When the MGA or marketing agency is advancing the money you are completely in bed with that company and the carriers he reps. If he only has companies like World, Fidelity Security and lets say Assurant and he provides leads you have only one choice but to only write his products. The client in this case doesn’t get the option to see the other carriers like Aetna, UHC or Unicare just to name a few. Most times the advancing agency “leans” on the agent via threatening to terminate leads if he writs for other carriers under the MGA’S nose. These advancing agencies most times offer trips as incentives to these “captive” agents. In the event, for whatever reason you choose to leave the agency you also have just left your block of business in his file cabinet for him to hand off to another agent in his pond and “boom” debit balance created and vector hit a commin’. That is not your business… period… I don’t care what you say or think… it happens, advancing MGA’S are all crooks thieves and liars.

Since the above referenced agent is most times living pay check to pay check he falls into desperation mode and runs out when he leaves and flips the client even when it is not in the clients best interest. This agent is in a pickle when rate increases happen cause most times the agency wont pay new commissions and will terminate the contract if the agent rolls the biz when the client needs to be rolled.
So…. Bottom line, getting advanced via advancing agencies like UBA, NASE, UA, Medical Benefit Group and others is just flat wrong and can be painful to your future.
Also don’t forget the assignment of commissions feature that so many advancing agencies require… that is the total kiss of death. And the massive interest that the agencies charge.

OK… now, the 2nd route, Advanced by the carrier…. First off if they charge interest, forget about it… Also, can you control having a client cancel? Loosing their company, taking a job somewhere, getting pissed off at the world…. Wife getting a job and going on that coverage, resencion of policy for fraud cause a client lied on the app… heck, just make up any number of stories…. You have a chance of loosing the client and it just ain’t worth the risk.

Ok, why now in my view do people endorse advancing…. Well, your new and have no other choice… I understand, I was there at one time… but when I broke out it was bye-bye advances….. I busted out at about 8500 bucks a month and now sit on about twice that, my income is predicted and I don’t have to worry, client wants to cancel, fine, I will just write 2 to replace it.

Another reason that people on this board support advancing and push it harder than Bush pushed the war in Iraq is because they have a vested interest in getting non self supporting agents. They sell training to the agents in an effort to pad their pocket books. Without the new struggling agents they could not market their self declared wisdom. Nothing wrong with that I just don’t like it…. Doesn’t mean I don’t like the people as individuals, I do, I just have a different approach and feel I have every right to call them out much in the same right as they have to promote their services.
Boys, you MUST go earned and if you can’t do it right NOW, then you need a plan in place to get there within 2 years. This is the only way to achieve financial freedom and truly protect you clients best interest… when you do that, you will rarely have a client leave you.

Good points. I personally was a victim of UA so I completely understand. I personally believe it is the individuals decision. I not pro or con against receiving advances. I do want to get to the point when I am strictly receiving as earned because I never want to worry about the headache of dealing with chargebacks.

I'm announcing that as of today the IHIAA has two new affiliates:

Papa John's
Domino's

The 95% of of all new agents who do not have the required funds to start as-earned now through association membership will be 1st in line to deliver pizzas.

I'm also working on other affiliations including:

Holding road signs
Digging ditches
Cleaning up construction sites
Waitering

Where can I sign up

Of course, there's no shortage of employers who are going to hire you knowing full well that you're over-qualified and will quit within a short time.

It's also highly unethical to secure a "solid" job, go through training with the intention of quitting soon. They could have hired someone else who would have stayed.

This is mostly a mute point conversation. No health carrier in California advances, except Assurant, which is almost impossible to sell.

So, in the spirit of being directly appointed, advances are almost impossible to do for health.

I wish I could get advanced for health, I'd probably sell a bit more, but even as earned, it gives me a nice paycheck a few times a month!

Dan

Back