Going to Start Door Knocking for Med Sup, Suggestions?

NAF1138

Guru
My manager wants me to increase my MedSup production so I am going to dive in the only way I know how and that is to start knocking on doors.

I have never canvassed or cold called for Med Sup so I don't know what I am doing, and was hoping I might be able to get some direction from the group here. I have some experience door knocking for other products, but that's mostly in a business setting or with orphan clients.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm open to working by phone too, but I have less experience calling than I do knocking on doors.

Middle income rural areas. You are looking for people with incomes in the $25k - $75k range and live in sparsely populated areas, typically under 50,000 people in the county.

My manager wants me to increase my MedSup production so I am going to dive in the only way I know how and that is to start knocking on doors.

I have never canvassed or cold called for Med Sup so I don't know what I am doing, and was hoping I might be able to get some direction from the group here. I have some experience door knocking for other products, but that's mostly in a business setting or with orphan clients.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm open to working by phone too, but I have less experience calling than I do knocking on doors.

What's your typical script when they open the door?

Study and understand the law of large numbers. It gets tough, it is brutal, numbers, numbers, numbers... good luck.

When you think you have a goal of doors/contacts to make per day or week, add about 30-40%. You'll need to go through a learning curve that will test your metal. Pay attention. Don't try to take notes in front of them, learn the art of the short term memory. If you know anything, company they are with, premium amount, anything... you've gained in that contact. Keep records, keep in contact, build on them. You'll close next week's knocks a year or two down the road if you do.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, Medicare guidelines this year say door knocking for medicare products, supps and mapds and pdps are no longer allowed.
I'll try and find the paper in regards to this and attach to another message.

My understanding is that door knocking is only disallowed for MAs and I don't sell those. I do have a plan G that is the lowest priced in the county I will be working today, and I am armed with a small list of names and a map.

The approach I am planning to use is a variation on an approach I have been taught to use for other products.

"Hi, I'm Nick. Did I catch you at a bad time? Great. I have been working with your neighbors x, Y and z to help them make sure that they have the best Medicare Supplement coverage possible at the best possible price. While I was in the neighborhood I thought I would stop by and offer my services to you also. "

Don't know how it will work, I'm starting I an hour, I'll let you know how it goes. Please let me know if you have tweeks or suggestions.

My understanding is that door knocking is only disallowed for MAs and I don't sell those. I do have a plan G that is the lowest priced in the county I will be working today, and I am armed with a small list of names and a map.

The approach I am planning to use is a variation on an approach I have been taught to use for other products.

"Hi, I'm Nick. Did I catch you at a bad time? Great. I have been working with your neighbors x, Y and z to help them make sure that they have the best Medicare Supplement coverage possible at the best possible price. While I was in the neighborhood I thought I would stop by and offer my services to you also. "

Don't know how it will work, I'm starting I an hour, I'll let you know how it goes. Please let me know if you have tweeks or suggestions.

Just make sure you say the word "supplement" every time after you say the word medicare, or make it clear some other way that you are only selling supplements. Otherwise it could be interpreted that you are slinging PDPs and/or MAPDs, and then you run into a whole mess of things with the DOI...

Back