Gone Are The Days Of Dental Health Insurance?

thomas09

Hi folks,

I just read this through one news site that various discount dental plans provide a solution to millions of people in the U.S. to get rid of their dental maladies at astonishing rates. Gone are the days when you needed dental health insurance; now anyone can save on their own family dental problems. There are thousands of participating dentists who are part of the combined network of different discount dental plans, and also easy to find a dentist and plan in nearly your residency.

There are still true dental insurance plans available.

yep...

However, I'm going to have Aetna discount dental plans through AmericanDiscountDental.com as per my friends suggestion. Hope, it will help me to get rid of my dental maladies at astonishing rates.

Network plans are fine but have their limits. The Aetna discount plans are better than most but still have drawbacks.

Discount dental networks generally have inexperienced dentists who are willing to heavily discount services in exchange for traffic. In a metro area you might find 15% of all dentists that are par providers. That means 85% of dentists will not accept your card.

With discount plans there are no claims, no adjudication, no oversight. A dentist is free to schedule you for multiple appointments and do work that is unnecessary in order to pump up his revenue.

While there is not as much abuse in PPO or DHMO plans, you are still relegated to dentists who need to discount their services in order to fill the chair. You are still going to miss out on 85% or so of the dentists in an area.

There are a few straight indemnity plans that allow you to choose any dentist, including your own. Some are priced reasonably while others are sky high. The challenge with indemnity plans is the amount paid may not cover the total bill.

Dental insurance is a high demand product and will remain so.

I sell a lot of the dental add onns with Humana, United, and Aetna. These are not discount plans. I have had no complaints thus far.

SOMARCO, how do you feel about these DMD plans?

Humana's dental plan is pricey and even more so when you consider the 12 month wait on most major benefits. UHC's plan is not yet available in GA so I can't say anything one way or the other. Aetna's plan is junk unless you use one of their providers. Even then it is a discount for anything beyond routine care.

I prefer to sell dental uncoupled from the medical to keep it clean. If you tie the dental to the medical and lose the medical you lose the dental as well. If they are separate chances are you will keep the dental long after the medical has left the room.

Dental insurance is probably here to stay. Carriers are constantly rolling out new plans. Golden Rule now offers dental an vision in most states as do all of the other major players like Aetna, Anthem, and Assurant.

Why buy health through one of these carriers and then buy discount dental through someone else?

Probably more so.

Funny how folks will not flinch at spending $80/mo (family) for dental insurance even though the coverage is limited on major stuff but will balk at paying $500 for a family plan that covers everything they need. I have clients who buy dental but don't have and won't buy health insurance.

Go figure.

Bob, I have a good friend who is pretty prominent on the web for individual health, and he's told me his dental pages are hit much more often thant his health pages.

Back