Good Life Insurance Rebuttals

JumpIn

I just started doing inbound sales (cold calling) for life insurance. All leads are given to me by the company I work for, so I am not having a problem with that. What I AM having a little trouble with is rebuttals. All the people I contact are retirees, so while life insurance would make sense for them, many of them already have it. We aren't allowed to replace any existing insurance over the phone, and convincing retirees that the benefit amount they have isn't enough has proven difficult.
So what is a good rebuttal to "I already have life insurance"? I'm sorry if there is another post where this is addressed, I am obviously new and don't know anything.

If they already have enough for themselves ask them "...wouldn't it be nice to leave a little something to help out the kids?"

I just started doing inbound sales (cold calling) for life insurance. All leads are given to me by the company I work for, so I am not having a problem with that. What I AM having a little trouble with is rebuttals. All the people I contact are retirees, so while life insurance would make sense for them, many of them already have it. We aren't allowed to replace any existing insurance over the phone, and convincing retirees that the benefit amount they have isn't enough has proven difficult.
So what is a good rebuttal to "I already have life insurance"? I'm sorry if there is another post where this is addressed, I am obviously new and don't know anything.

Who is making the assumption that life insurance would make sense for them?

Rick

The first thing you have to do is congratulate them on having insurance and being excited that they have it. It makes them feel good and reinforces the idea of how important life insurance is.

After you establish they have it just ask if you can discuss it with them and find out what kind of policy they have. Just do some fact finding and find out what their assets and liabilities are. Try and sell them on the idea of legacy enhancement by leaving a little something extra for their heirs or a church or favorite charity. Sometimes there really is just no need for it and its time to thank them for their time, congratulate them on being financially responsible, and move on to the next call.

I agree with dubya... people like talking about the good decisions they've made. A point top make might also be that it's important to evaluate insurance from time to time as needs change with life events or stages i.e. people have kids, grand kids, medical bills, savings have been exhausted, the need for transitional income. Make a list of events that happen for that demographic that would make plausible a need for a review of their existing policies.

Just say "Great! Most of the people I speak with every week have life insurance, most have had it for several years.

What a lot of people are starting to realize is that funerals cost more now than they did a few years ago. So a lot of people are now adding a liitle more coverage to go with what they already have in place, just to make sure their children and family don't have to dig out of their pocket.

Plus, everyone always forgets about the final phone bill, final utility bill, property taxes, etc. and the children are stuck paying for this. That's another reason that people are adding a little more coverage this week.

Insuranceman makes a great point and I wouldn't even call it "selling." Everybody has bills, many live paycheck to paycheck so itemizing for them aloud...phone bill, property taxes i.e. transitional income is a good point to make. Thanks insuranceman!

Insuranceman makes a great point and I wouldn't even call it "selling." Everybody has bills, many live paycheck to paycheck so itemizing for them aloud...phone bill, property taxes i.e. transitional income is a good point to make. Thanks insuranceman!

You're welcome................

A simple one I use every now and then is to ask them "if you cashed in all your life insurance today, would it be enough to live on for the rest of your life?"

Latest posts

Back