Goofed up Medicare app-suggestions: which option or both? Appeal or Congress person

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Way back in January, my client applied for Medicare at the local office, knowing there would be a cost for Part A, the usual amount shown on Medicare.gov for 30 quarters or more but less than 40. Client has 30 quarters. Client eventually received a card with Part B showing, and was approved for a MedSupp for 6/1/2020, thinking that the last call to SS where the app was referred onward would have worked. It's stalled out. No action, having been told to "call back if nothing happens in 30 days". No help there.
Client is essentially well to do, with inherited non payroll based income. The local SS office didn't ask the client about total annual income in the beginning of the app process when offices were still open, just relied on the very low Social Security wage info they had.
This resulted in the case being declared QMB eligible by Social Security, which means Medicaid is primary on Part A. Of course, as my DSNP aware pals know, the client would also have Part B premiums paid if the income was low enough.
The opposite is the correct situation. Due to income the client should pay the $221 for Part A and IRMAA on Medicare B and D. Income is well over 6 figures.
Trying to get reps at Social Security to grasp this and just get Part A issued has been futile so far. Now we are told that the only way to "talk to a supervisor" is to have the rep who answers the phone from home to send a message for one to contact the client.
I am thinking to have the client's House of Representatives office intervene, and/or file an appeal. I see there is now a COVID related national fax number for apps, etc. to Social Security.
Your thoughts?

PS, too late to edit the post, the client has Part D Rx plan and Medicare is charging the full IRMAA for that. Of course, it was no issue to write that, as only A or B is required.
So the client sits, as the Social Services office is treating this like kryptonite, no app forwarded over from Social Security to deny for QMB Medicaid, they insist, no can help.

Back