Google Rolls Out Auto Insurance Comparison

We can say that their system is bad or that claims might be bad, but there will be a TON of people buy from Google - no matter the price!

Have you ever quoted against Esurance? I quote against them quite a bit and their prices are sky high for liability insurance, but millions of people buy their product. I swear by Google for searching the internet as do millions of people. Those needing non-standard auto products will buy liability insurance at midnight from Google.

We can say that their system is bad or that claims might be bad, but there will be a TON of people buy from Google - no matter the price!

Have you ever quoted against Esurance? I quote against them quite a bit and their prices are sky high for liability insurance, but millions of people buy their product. I swear by Google for searching the internet as do millions of people. Those needing non-standard auto products will buy liability insurance at midnight from Google.

I'm using Google now to search for the best airline rate when I travel, which I do monthly! Works quite well.

Bob, would it matter to you if the Google results were as follows:

Airline 1: $708
Airline 2: $234
Airline 3: $516
Airline 4: $411
Airline 5: $779

How would you decide which fare to buy if you did not really know anything about each airline, their schedules, destinations, boarding policy, type of aircraft, etc.?

Bob, would it matter to you if the Google results were as follows:

Airline 1: $708
Airline 2: $234
Airline 3: $516
Airline 4: $411
Airline 5: $779

How would you decide which fare to buy if you did not really know anything about each airline, their schedules, destinations, boarding policy, type of aircraft, etc.?

It doesn't look like that. Check this out.
I typically fly with Delta but sometimes I find it cheaper to fly 1 way on Delta, then 1 way back on United. I found this out using the Google app.

It really is pretty helpful to point one in the right direction. Also, Google isn't selling airline tickets, just displaying the info.

I know, but that's what their auto insurance quotes look like...the name of an insurance company that the typical consumer knows nothing about and a price, nothing more.

People who fly regularly are likely familiar with several airlines, the aircraft they fly, their cancellation policies, boarding procedures, on-time performance, dispute resolution, customer service, etc. Many of us use information gather tools like this, Orbitz, Expedia, and others as a start but, while price is a factor, it is rarely the deciding factor.

I like Southwest and will often choose them even if they're not the lowest fare. If I'm buying a book or CD, I prefer Amazon for many reasons...I recently bought a Bluetooth speaker that was cheaper elsewhere. Turned out it was defective when I got it on a Tuesday. I went online and reported it and on Tuesday I had a new speaker delivered to my door and they took the defective one.

Google Compare for auto insurance gives you a company name, a descriptive sentence, and a quote, then you are free to book entirely online with some carriers. It tells you nothing, for example, about the actual policy you are buying and, if you ask to see one, you won't be able to.

And, as an analogy to my comment about buying the defective speaker from Amazon, what if you buy a "defective" auto insurance policy that doesn't cover something you do, like delivering pizzas or renting a car? If I couldn't return the Bluetooth speaker, I'm out $30. If I make a poor choice in airlines I'm out a few bucks or some level of inconvenience. If I choose the wrong insurer/insurance policy, I could lose almost everything I own.

Just curious, how does the E&O work with these folks buying online without an agent? Is it buyer beware? If you had wanted guidance, should have used an agent or can these companies still be sued for not properly informing their insureds of the risks of carrying state minimum coverages? I apologize if this should be a separate post/thread.

You can sue anyone for anything, but I'm guessing you'd have a hard time winning and my bet is, when it gets time to place the coverage, there is a significant disclaimer that people will not bother to read, just as virtually (no pun intended) no one reads any disclaimers online or for software.

Does a disclaimer absolve google of any responsibility for insurance bound from their website? If it worked that way, wouldn't we all be including disclaimers with our apps?

Back