Got a call today

hockeyday

Guru
100+ Post Club
Person turned 65 in April, went to local ss office 2 weeks ago to sign up for part B, not taking ss yet, I'm thinking part. A effective date will be April 1st , any idea what part B effective date will be, have not got a card yet, current agent told them they didn't have to do anything, now won't return their calls, I'm going to help don't want to screw this up anymore, is there a place to see the effective dates, I'm assuming that I should be able to do med
sup and drug plan with June 1st effective date with open enrollment right?

Person turned 65 in April, went to local ss office 2 weeks ago to sign up for part B, not taking ss yet, I'm thinking part. A effective date will be April 1st , any idea what part B effective date will be, have not got a card yet, current agent told them they didn't have to do anything, now won't return their calls, I'm going to help don't want to screw this up anymore, is there a place to see the effective dates, I'm assuming that I should be able to do med

Having applied in April, if SS backdated the Pt A start date to 4/1 then they likely backdated Pt B to 4/1. Otherwise, when did the client tell SS he wanted his start date to be? The seven month rule still applies.

They should have an award letter any day and you may be able to see the start dates on Medicare.gov.

You should be fine with the 6/1 start date.

(Edited for grammar)

Last edited:
If you sign up for Part A (if you have to buy it) and/or Part B in this month: Your coverage starts:
The month you turn 65
1 month after you sign up
1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up
2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
During the January 1–March 31 General Enrollment Period July 1

When will my coverage start? | Medicare.gov

Somarco, are there conditions under which someone's coverage could begin retroactively? I haven't had anyone experience that but was told by another agent that he's seen it couple of time recently.

I looked on Medicare's website but found limited information about it.

If you sign up for Part A (if you have to buy it) and/or Part B in this month: Your coverage starts:
The month you turn 65
1 month after you sign up
1 month after you turn 65 2 months after you sign up
2 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
3 months after you turn 65 3 months after you sign up
During the January 1–March 31 General Enrollment Period July 1

When will my coverage start? | Medicare.gov

Also, am I understanding the timeline correctly? If a person turns 65 in April but doesn't apply for A/B until July, then Medicare doesn't start until October?

Having applied in April, if SS backdated the Pt A start date to 4/1 then they likely backdated Pt B to 4/1. Otherwise, when did the client tell SS he wanted his start date to be? The seven month rule still applies.

They should have an award letter any day and you may be able to see the start dates on Medicare.gov.

You should be fine with the 6/1 start date.

(Edited for grammar)

7 month is for MA, he's talking Med Supp.

Part B effective date will be May 1.

Part B will start October 1. Part A will be retroactive to April 1

Aw okay, that explains the retroactive date!

Is the Pt A always retroactive when signing up in the 3 months after birth month or could someone choose to have Pt A start along with the Pt B at the later date? I hope that made sense.

Back