Got AOR! when Can I Help Them....

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
OK, first hurdle. Now perform. I already found an issue that needs help
1. I can, & I think, should unofficially tell them what's wrong & what to do, which may not be until open enrollment this fall.
2. I can't directly fix it now, but am talking to our GA rep to see what might be able to be done, then employer can let EE's know
Don't want to make employer look bad, looks like prior rep who missed details needed to service properly.
Yay, me, sort of. Could be a slight minefield.
What do you do to establish the relationship while waiting for official rights to servicing?
I also plan to ask the agent if his P&C liability carrier offers employee benefits liability coverage.
I did find out who their P&C/WC are covered by, but not agent yet.
I used to sell P&C, had several contractor clients in my former state, who knows, may go there again.
Last line, they laughed when I said I might start selling pet insurance, but it's a "thing" now, I hear in employee benefits.
Ok, jokes now.

you need to continue to develop the relationship. You got the AOR for some reason, what was it? Friend, relative, better service? If it was better service, continue to evaluate the group and make sure you are informing them of what is going on, even if it is just looking for improvements to make at the next renewal.

Have you offered to do a refresher meeting with the EE's to explain the bvnefits of their plan and offer to help their family members find affordable coverage? I'd stay away from things like the pet insurance until I was very established with the group. You want to prove yourself on the BIG ticket and then you can talk about the "hot" things once they know you are the real deal and there to provide them the best service and options based on what their current needs are.

Best of luck and great job getting the AOR!

"you need to continue to develop the relationship."

"Have you offered to do a refresher meeting with the EE's to explain the benefits of their plan and offer to help their family members find affordable coverage?"

"Best of luck and great job getting the AOR!"

Re: Need to develop the relationship...And how, I hit the ground running with a new employee in a neighboring state, what to do and when, so new to AOR process. Be like the swan, look like gliding, while paddling madly.

Yes, I got the group due to friendship, also AOR on owner's brother for the individual policy. I can see that I need to establish a chain of command with who will be contacting me about new employees, etc. It all happened fast. My friends are: a new hire, meant to stand in for the owner when he's out of town, and the owner/his wife.

Great suggestion, how long do you make these meetings? Do you use handouts? When you say help family members, those who employees have chosen not to cover on the group, or others? Could be delicate subject if they aren't on the group, as ER doesn't provide subsidy for family coverage.

All this will change to some degree, so being a resource for all is good, since more and more may migrate to exchange/individual.
I have a good GA, with help for ER's decisions on 2014 rules.

Thanks!

Re: Need to develop the relationship...And how, I hit the ground running with a new employee in a neighboring state, what to do and when, so new to AOR process. Be like the swan, look like gliding, while paddling madly.

Yes, I got the group due to friendship, also AOR on owner's brother for the individual policy. I can see that I need to establish a chain of command with who will be contacting me about new employees, etc. It all happened fast. My friends are: a new hire, meant to stand in for the owner when he's out of town, and the owner/his wife.

Get in touch with the administrator or HR person and go over the basics of adding / removing employees, when the annual renewal is, etc. Just try to make their job easy when it comes to benefits.

Great suggestion, how long do you make these meetings? Do you use handouts? When you say help family members, those who employees have chosen not to cover on the group, or others? Could be delicate subject if they aren't on the group, as ER doesn't provide subsidy for family coverage.

They can be pretty short. Usually a segment of their monthly employee meeting or weekly meeting, depending on the company. Yes, use a handout. I prepare little folders (supplied by the carrier) and then include information about their plan and any additional benefits (LTD/STD/Life/Dental, etc.).

You want to help the EE's who can't afford the group coverage. ER's not covering dependents is nothing new, so no worry about it being delicate. Turn it into a positive of the employer giving them access to a professional to not only explain the benefits of the group plan, but also to help people with their needs when the group plan isn't an option for the rest of their family. You can help them get individual plans in or out of the exchange. It's a win-win.

All this will change to some degree, so being a resource for all is good, since more and more may migrate to exchange/individual.
I have a good GA, with help for ER's decisions on 2014 rules.

Thanks!

Other than that, the relationship will just develop.

Back