Got denied WL due to travel, other options?

Well now you know what to tell the next agent. Unfortunately, this didn't come up in the pre-underwriting phase of your deal. Next agent, upfront tell him what you do and ask him to find a company that will insure you in the middle east. There are companies that do, without a mark up, you just either didn't disclose this up front or the agent had one company blinders on. Not implying you lied, it just didn't come up.

Probably everybody here has insured someone doing business in the ME. It's just a matter of checking underwriting FIRST, then building a plan to go with the companies that will underwrite.

If you are interested only on the cash value accumulation, you can use someone else’s life. You can insure your wife/ children/ partner, just make sure you are the owner of the policy.

Last edited:
My experience is that they won't deny you just because of travel, there must be more that you are not disclosing or your agent is not experienced. If the death benefit is what you are looking for, there are plenty of options outside the USA that will insure you. If you are looking at it from strictly cash value growth again there are other products and strategies. WL from a large mutual is not the only option. If you are looking at this from an estate tax issue, there are probably 10000 different opinions about the best product, WL from MassMutual is not the only option.

I placed someone with a British Broker when when has living 10 months in Moroco and 2 months in USA. It is actually quite interesting to see all the other life insurance options on a global scale.

My experience is that they won't deny you just because of travel, there must be more that you are not disclosing or your agent is not experienced. If the death benefit is what you are looking for, there are plenty of options outside the USA that will insure you. If you are looking at it from strictly cash value growth again there are other products and strategies. WL from a large mutual is not the only option. If you are looking at this from an estate tax issue, there are probably 10000 different opinions about the best product, WL from MassMutual is not the only option.

I placed someone with a British Broker when when has living 10 months in Moroco and 2 months in USA. It is actually quite interesting to see all the other life insurance options on a global scale.
It's not the "just because of travel" that causes most declines...it's where you are traveling to as the reason. I can travel to/from Israel all year long. Traveling to Syria or some other "hot spot" is going to be a decline.

Hello all,

Thanks for all the inputs.

Here is an update of my situation with MassMutual. So my agent went back and forth with the MassMutual underwriter. They declined my application but would consider to approve me at Standard rating with no Paid-up addition rider like ALIR or LISR due to my travel to Saudi Arabia. But I'm not interested in a policy with no PUA rider so I withdrew my application with MassMutual

So just wonder if there is any agent/broker can help to shop for another carrier for my case? Here is my situation:

I'm an engineer at defense company designing network communication systems for US and international military customers.

I will have another two trips in May and July to Saudi Arabia, approximately 90 days total in this year 2018. There is no known plan of traveling in 2019

I will be staying in capital city of Saudi Arabia which is Riyadh

I prefer to go with non-direct recognition carrier so I can use it based on Bank-on-yourself concept. And my main purpose of the whole life is to have an high early cash value policy. I'd like a blended design policy with $1Mil death benefit

Let me know if you can help. Thanks again!

Hello all,

Here is an update of my situation with MassMutual. So my agent went back and forth with the MassMutual underwriter. They declined my application but would consider to approve me at Standard rating with no Paid-up addition rider like ALIR or LISR due to my travel to Saudi Arabia. But I'm not interested in a policy with no PUA rider so I withdrew my application with MassMutual

So just wonder if there is any agent/broker can help to shop for another carrier for my case? Here is my situation:

I'm an engineer at defense company designing network communication systems for US and international military customers.

I will have another two trips in May and July to Saudi Arabia, approximately 90 days total in this year 2018. There is no known plan of traveling in 2019

I prefer to go with non-direct recognition carrier so I can use it based on Bank-on-yourself concept. And my main purpose of the whole life is to have an high early cash value policy. I'd like a blended design policy with $1Mil death benefit

Sent you a PM

Hello all,

It doesn't have to be non-direct to be very good for that. That's a boy marketing line.

Back