Got health insurance from healthcare.gov and I am going insane

arsh

So here is whats happening, My mother who is a new resident in the United States since 2016, I got her insurance through the marketplace , She has been having coverage since then , However, She doesn't work and she make zero income so because of that she hasn't been filing any taxes since then , However , now We were asked by healthcare.gov for proof of her tax return and when I explain them the situation, They told me I have 2 option to add her as my dependent which i rode somewhere dependents are not eligible for premium tax credit or file the late tax return now for 2016 , How is this possible , Can i file tax for her for 2016 when she has no income , Can i put like $1000 income for her for the late tax return just to have her premium tax credit going ? any idea ... and she is not eligible for Medicaid as well.

Arsh,
You need to find an agent/broker in your home state to help understand her options.

The law requires that the individual file taxes (income limit depends on your state and Medicaid expansion). I have no idea what NV did as far as Medicaid expansion, so I would not feel comfortable giving advice here, other than find a local broker and get help.

Did she get her 1095 forms for 2016 and 2017?

Do you prepare your own taxes, ie are you comfortable reading forms and instructions?

Or if you hire your tax return out, speak with your preparer. They should be able to help you with the zero income returns for aca.

Last edited:
You are responsible for your tax return. I am not responsible for any errors that may be in the info below, I'm just pointing you to it in case you might find it helpful.

I am stuck with a phone, no clue how to copy links.
wikiHow how to file a zero income tax return.

Arsh,
You need to find an agent/broker in your home state to help understand her options.
The commission for IFP in NV is zero. I'm sure it you help enough people the zeros will add up.

You can than every democrap that voted for that pile of garbage for his issue.

Rick

Why does a non agent respond? Malpracticing?

You have to file a tax return to reconcile tax creditse even with zero income. Nothing should be owed back in end.

If below 100% Federal poverty level, then not eligible to get tax credits....period.

If state expanded Medicaid, that is what she should be on if allowed given recent residency.

If claim as dependent, then your household income would apply and reduce tax credits or eliminate financial assistance.

From what I understand, she still get premium tax credit even with $0 income due to her immigration status under 5 years of residency. But she’s still have to file her taxes every year. Just file $0 income if she’s not working and reconcile her 1095a form on her taxes. Also, make sure to include her green card number, all the details marketplace asking for on the application. If you do it right, she will not send to Medicaid department, and the eligibility results will qualify her for premium tax credit. If they asking for proof of income, just have her write a letter stating she’s not working for the year, send it in to them then she’ll be ok. This will only be working if she’s legally here less than 5 years of residency from the date she gets her permanent residence card. Once 5 years passes, she’s has to have minimum income to qualify for premium tax credit.
Your other options is like yagent mentioned above, you can claim her as dependent on your tax return but then again, that will based on your household income, if your income is too high, this will effect her premium tax credit.

Latest posts

Back