Got my first death claim

ValeRosso

Guru
And i feel terrible about it. One, because of the death of a nice person, and two, because the clients mother in law said she didn’t know the policy only paid return of premium plus 10% interest within the first 3 years. Did I explain this while I was in their home? Maybe, maybe not, I don’t remember as it was over 2 years ago. This was one of my first couple of policies sold, so its possible I didn’t even know. Feels bad man.

Just venting.

And i feel terrible about it. One, because of the death of a nice person, and two, because the clients mother in law said she didn’t know the policy only paid return of premium plus 10% interest within the first 3 years. Did I explain this while I was in their home? Maybe, maybe not, I don’t remember as it was over 2 years ago. This was one of my first couple of policies sold, so its possible I didn’t even know. Feels bad man.

Just venting.

Yikes, never easy.

Why did you write them return of premium? Were there health conditions that made them uninsurable for a level policy or even an underwritten policy?

Definitely learn from it make sure you are getting them best policy they can get. This can also happen when people go out & replace existing coverage without realizing starting over in new policy or 2 yr contestibility or new graded policy period, etc

Just venting.
If you have to sell a Modified/GI policy in the future, use a different company. Most are 2 year ROP, not 3.

Yikes, never easy.

Why did you write them return of premium? Were there health conditions that made them uninsurable for a level policy or even an underwritten policy?

Definitely learn from it make sure you are getting them best policy they can get. This can also happen when people go out & replace existing coverage without realizing starting over in new policy or 2 yr contestibility or new graded policy period, etc

He had cancer but went into remission after treatment which is why it was ROP. He was in remission for about 2 months before I met him and wrote the policy.

It’s a learning experience that I will ever forget, and will be checking to make sure I cover this every time in the future.

Just venting.
If you haven’t picked up Gerber yet for Guaranteed issue biz, you need to. They would have paid full benefit on that case.

If you haven’t picked up Gerber yet for Guaranteed issue biz, you need to. They would have paid full benefit on that case.

Screw Gerber . 100% first yr chargeback and 50% second yr on death . I write great western on all with 12 month chargeback . That’s all throwaway business for me as persistency is atrocious . I was looking at my 5 yr Gerber business one time and I bet 35% lapsed in the first yr . The billing is so bad and many people had direct express cards. I also seemed to have a lot of deaths in first 2 yrs

Back