Got My First Phone Call from MAPD Client Being Termed

insurance0707

Guru
1000 Post Club
Michigan
I got my first phone call today from a client that's being dropped for 2011 from his MAPD plan. I was told by the insurance carrier, just like the rest of you have, that I cannot contact my own clients and let them know this was coming. They should let the agent call them and tell them not to worry, they have special guarantee issue rights because this has happened and we have 3 months to put them in a new plan.

My client was upset, he said I can't believe they just sent me a letter telling him their dropping him as of 1-1-11. Not something a senior wants to hear. He asked me if I knew this was coming and I had to tell him yes and that they're not allowing the agents to talk to their clients until after Oct 2nd about their options.

All I can say is CMS/Federal Government might want to talk to NAIC/State Insurance Commissioners about working with seniors and designing the rules. State plans (Medicare supplements) are year round, not just some 45 day period once a year, they're guaranteed renewalble, etc. This is definitly not the way to do it. There will be alot of frightened seniors in the next week. It doesn't have to be this way!

Last edited:
Sure it has to be that way. You have to keep people in the dark, can you imagine the senior citizen actually understanding what is going on. Correct me if I'm wrong but everyone seems to understand medicare until they get sick.
t hall

CMS could also learn about standardization of insurance plans (just like the standardized med supps).....that alone would save a ton of confusion

Last edited:
I fail to see the problem. I tell everyone I enroll in a MA to prepare for a bumpy ride.
What's the worse that can happen if a carrier non renews?
The insured has a SEP to another MA, or, GI to a med supp.
If a client wants stability and certainty, they should not be on a MA.
I still remember the old days where if you were on a MA that was non renewing, your client had to pass underwriting to get back on a med supp.

While you couldn't contact them and tell them exactly what was going to happen you could have mailed everyone a form letter stating that there will be a chance that some of them will be dropped, but don't worry because.... .... ... And you'll be Johnny Good Agent and be there for them as always.

While you couldn't contact them and tell them exactly what was going to happen you could have mailed everyone a form letter stating that there will be a chance that some of them will be dropped, but don't worry because.... .... ... And you'll be Johnny Good Agent and be there for them as always.

Like G.Gordon says...I don't have MA clients but if I did I would definatly do a newsletter to them letting them know some of the things going on...And I would have a section letting them know that some clients plans would be non-renewing. Due to CMS regulations I am precluded from informing them of this until they have been notified by the plan...But to be aware that I am aware of each clients plan that is non-renewing and I am already researching their options and that they are free to call me anytime with a question and I will be getting in touch with them as soon as permitted under CMS regulation...I'd also put a little jab in CMS their that they can feel free to inform their representative that CMS does not allow their agent to tell them if their plan is non-renewing and keep them in the dark about other things.

The first paragraph of my letter was:

All of the upcoming Medicare changes and rumors have left many of my clients worried about what their options will be this year. While it is true that several major carriers are withdrawing from the state and leaving individuals without coverage, I have already been working on options for any circumstances that a person may be facing. With the election period being much shorter this year, it is very important that I speak with you to ensure that all necessary changes will be completed in time.

Not perfect...but it has generated a LOT of phone calls....I mailed them out two days ago...and received 7 calls today.

Like G.Gordon says......I'd also put a little jab in CMS their that they can feel free to inform their representative that CMS does not allow their agent to tell them if their plan is non-renewing and keep them in the dark about other things.

We should send out a letter to our clients informing them of some of the new rules and tell them if they think they're wrong to contact their representative....

Dear Client, Here's a list of the things I'm prohibted to do,

• If I come to your house and help you with your prescription coverage and after we finish you want to talk about other insurance products....long term care insurance for instance, I cannot do so, I have to come back in 48 hours and then I can let you know about it. (Could you imagine if your homeowners or car insurance agent told you, I can give you discounts on multiple policies, but I'll have to wait 48 hours after I tell you about the discount on homeowners, than another 48 hours for car insurance, etc.)
  • If your policy isn't renewing for the upcoming year, I can't tell you about it until you receive a letter letting you know you're being dropped (Never mind some of you have heart problems and this might frighten you)
  • If you want me to talk to your friend about the product you just bought because you think they might like it also, I cannot call them (I'm sorry Joe, I can't call your friend and tell him about this. If you write down his address I can mail him a letter though...Medicare/CMS does not allow me to call any referral that I receive)
  • If you want to meet and speak about a Medicare prescription drug plan i have to mail out a form to you that say's this is all we'll speak about, nothing else, you have to mail it back to me, then I have to fax it into the company and thennnnnnn we can meet and I can tell you about a Medicare prescription plan (My god, it's a $20 prescription drug plan not State Secrets)
  • If I run your medicatoins on Medicare's website and it lists that #1 plan is company "X" this plan will offer you the lowest premiums and the lowest copays on your medications and you ask me, is this the best plan? I cannot say this is the best plan based on your medications
Please feel free to add to the list, I'm sure I'm forgetting some

Last edited:
Please feel free to add to the list, I'm sure I'm forgetting some[/quote]

I cannot treat you a meal or even combine different foods that might add up to a meal.

I cannot not give you any referral fee or give you any gift card that can be traded in for cash.

My nominal gift can only add up to $15 and not a penny more.

I can be at a health fare but I am not allowed to write down your name or even give you some specific information about the plans that I represent and I am only allowed to give you my card if you ask me for it.

I will likely be secret shopped.

I got my first phone call today from a client that's being dropped for 2011 from his MAPD plan. I was told by the insurance carrier, just like the rest of you have, that I cannot contact my own clients and let them know this was coming. They should let the agent call them and tell them not to worry, they have special guarantee issue rights because this has happened and we have 3 months to put them in a new plan.

My client was upset, he said I can't believe they just sent me a letter telling him their dropping him as of 1-1-11. Not something a senior wants to hear. He asked me if I knew this was coming and I had to tell him yes and that they're not allowing the agents to talk to their clients until after Oct 2nd about their options.

All I can say is CMS/Federal Government might want to talk to NAIC/State Insurance Commissioners about working with seniors and designing the rules. State plans (Medicare supplements) are year round, not just some 45 day period once a year, they're guaranteed renewalble, etc. This is definitly not the way to do it. There will be alot of frightened seniors in the next week. It doesn't have to be this way!

I told all of my people to expect a letter around this time and to not panic, but rather to call me when they got the letter. I rec'd 3 phone calls today. I am disgusted with Aetna however. Its management and personnel are the most incompetent that I've ever seen. I predict that they will leave my market by the end of 2011 entirely.

Back