Got My License. Now what?

Newbie Agent

As you can tell I am new to the forum, I have been poking around for a while and have just recently gotten my General Lines Life, Accident and Health License. My question is now what? To better illustrate my question: I have recently been approached by State Farm, I have been reading the recent post on SF and have begun wondering if SF truly is the right decision for me and my family. What I am wondering (and please keep the newbie bashing to a minimum if possible) is other than the obvious answer of becoming either a captive or an independent agent what other avenues are available to me?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Got My License...now What?

Do you want to work to eventually get a P&C license and maybe your own State Farm agency? If so, this is a great start. If not, if you want to concentrate on life and health, maybe go with a good captive and get trained, like mutual of omaha or NYL or NW or the New England or somebody. It's up to you, pick your career path. Do some research. Find your niche. Get trained and then maybe go on your own. It's up to you. Did you really think hard about it prior to getting your license? What are your thoughts?

I have had my L&H since 2004, started independent...didn't really know anything. But the timing was such that I becamee captive with a couple of well known health insurers and now I just passed the P&C this month and I am on the path of independence until I'm out.

I have been thinking about entering into the insurance industry for a while now and since I began the talks with SF I went ahead and tested for the General Life, Accident and Health, passed and just wanted some ideas of what other opportunities were out there. I am interested in becoming an independent agent but just wanted to get an idea of options. Is there any good stock in pursuing an Insurance counselor license? Or would I get better results with trying to get in with NYL and the such with out getting a P&C? Again I know these are very basic questions but because ya'll have been around the block I was wondering if there were positions out there that did not require having to become a captive or independent agent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am asking because of the experiences I have read about not really being able to make a real profit for a few years. i am not in a position where we could go with out income for over six months.

Last edited:
Welcome Newbie,

I received got into this business a few years ago, and went captive. I passed the CA Life agent and ser. 6&63 easily, but there is a lot to learn beyond that in this industry. Maybe not for everyone, but if you want to right by your clients, it is nice to have some help with complicated cases.

You can use this form for help, there are a lot of good people here, but it may not be enough for all cases. If you are captive, you will have someone that you can go too.

If you do go indy, I would highly recommend you find a someone to mentor you. This will help keep you motivated, and give you someone to go to when you have case you need help with.

Either way, there are no guarantees when starting and trying to find you niche. You will have to work your natural market with any captive situation. This is where they operate and feed! As well as if you are indy and want to eat in the lean times. But this is good, because their will be people in your natural market that need insurance. They just probably don't know it yet

Good luck and see ya out there,
Steve

Back