Grandfather rents apt in daughter's home. Grandson chauffers GF.

BigGorilla

I'm 78 years old.
Live in an apartment in my daughter and son-in-law's basement and pay monthly rent.
I cook my own meals, and live independently.
My grandson is 19 (20 in Feb), has his own car (2008 Altima) with coverage under his parent's auto policy (AMFAM).
I own a 2016 Subaru Forester XT and insured separately (Progressive).
My grandson is an excellent driver, clean record, and I have more confidence in his driving than my own at my age.
He did not have outstanding grades when in high school. Good, but not outstanding. Probably a B average.
He typically only drives me to doctor's appointments (12 miles one-way) and to the local Walmart weekly (3 miles O/W).
I drive myself 20 miles to church weekly on rural highway. Other than incidental trips shopping at other nearby stores that is about all the driving my car gets.

I'm trying to decide whether to allow my grandson drive my Forester and add him as a driver on my policy or to ride with him in his car. It is difficult for me to climb in and out of his car.

My preference is to have him drive me in my Forester. I don't fully understand how that may affect my rates. Does the fact I live independently in a basement apartment have any bearing on these rates?

A) He should be listed as a licensed driver on a policy, realistically on his parent's policy
B) He can drive your vehicle on occasion but as a member of the household needs to be listed as a licensed driver on one of the policies
C) If the car is registered and titled to him, car should not be on parent's policy but his own policy. Parent's have no insurable interest in the car

Most auto policies have an exclusion for vehicles not declared on the policy that are furnished or available for the regular use of the named insured or family members. If your grandson drives your auto as your describe, he likely has no coverage under his parents' policy and, if sued, they likely have no coverage of their own. He could have coverage under your policy, but it depends on the wording of your policy. It depends on the wording of all of the policies involved. Your family needs to discuss this with your insurance agent(s).

There is SO much not necessary info here. You are 78 years old and have your grandson drive you to the Dr's and store occasionally. He has his own car and insurance. Are you covered when he is driving you to appointments? YES. If you want to add him as a driver on your policy, go ahead. He needs to maintain the insurance on his own car and be listed on that policy

Back